Camborne Youth Band Claim Victory in Gwent

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by matt_BBb_bass, Jan 29, 2007.

1. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

Camborne Youth Band travelled to Wales to compete in the oldest Youth Band contest in the Country; the Greater Gwent Youth Brass Band Festival. The Band were drawn last in their section, Section 1, and were up against nine other bands. As well as the Band winning first prize under their Musical Director, Alan Pope, their Soprano Cornet soloist, Samuel Eddy, won the 'best instrumentalist' award for his faultless performance of 'Nessun Dorma'.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Two coaches left Camborne at 9:30 am; one transporting the band and the other the Band's supporters. The Band arrived in Wales at the Risca Salvation Army Hall for their rehearsal early in the afternoon. There they met up with their MD and Owen Farr who performed with the band last weekend as well as adjudicating the solo contest. A report on last weekend, including the full results of the contest, will appear shortly.
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Band's 20 minute entertainment programme began with 'Fanfare for Camborne', written especially for them by their Musical Advisor, Alan Morrison. Alan's arrangement of 'And All That Jazz' from the musical 'Chicago' then followed.
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Samuel Eddy then took to the stage to perform 'Nessun Dorma' on Soprano Cornet and adjudicator, Steven Mead, commented in the remarks that his faultless performance certainly had 'some Peter Roberts moments'! Samuel's confidence, skill and professionalism gained him the award of 'best instrumentalist' of Section 1.
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Camborne's very own Laurel and Hardy then took to the stage in the form of Euphonium players Peter Harvey and Simon Kendall. They played Sandy Smith's 'Another Fine Mess' based on the two comedians, and their antics, dancing and playing certainly entertained the audience and the adjudicator. His comments for this piece included 'two natural comedians' and 'the audience said it all'!
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jeremy Taylor, the Band's last soloist for their programme, then performed the xylophone solo 'Helter Skelter' which gained him 'best instrumentalist' at the National Youth Championships last year. Despite a nervous second when a stick flew out his hand, he caught it again and not one note was missed! Steven Mead's comments for this piece comprised one word: 'Fantastic'!
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Band performed a powerful arrangement of 'Macarthur Park' by Alan Fernie to end the 'finest performance of the day' as commented once again by the adjudicator.
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]After the results, which included some unaccompanied virtuosic playing on the euphonium by adjudicator Steven Mead, the Band and supporters headed straight back to Cornwall arriving at half past midnight at the Camborne Community Centre. The Band wish to thank Alan for all of his hard work in preparation for the contest and the Youth Band Management Team for making sure the trip ran smoothly. Your next chance to hear the Band and this award winning entertainment programme will be at the CD launch concerts on February 11th & 12th which are advertised on the Home Page.
  2. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Huge congratulations to the band! Delighted to hear of another excellent result!
    Got a text just after the result, but thought it was worth posting- Glad to see you are making Cornwall proud once more :D

:clap: :clap: :clap:
  3. emzbaby31

emzbaby31 New Member

well done Camborne you were fantastic! im gonna try play helter skelter for my nest solo lol i thought you were amazing and a big big big round of applause for your soprano player amazing!
  4. Good work jeremy, good to see your keeping yourself at the top of your game, must be that playing with brighouse!! LOL,

Well done band.
  5. Camborne

camborne were very good! was enjoyable, although i feel that they shoudlnt be competin!
    Greater Gwent Youth Brass Band have neva competd and they should at least you would have a slightly closer competition, felt the band deserved 1st obviously! but the soloist prize should have gone to your euphonium or perc player, sop was good but not a patch on other 2!

6. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

Which band do you think is better camborne or gwent?
  7. BandTaxi

BandTaxi Active Member

Can you please explain that comment as I don't understand it at all. I understand your abbreviations fine - but don't see your reasoning as to why they shouldn't have competed.
  8. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Being about ten years too old to play in the contest now I feel I can comment on those bands that do compete. I was at Cross-keys this year and lucky enough to hear Camborne Youth Band play...and how well they played too, a stunning performance. In my eyes they were heard and shoulders above every other band there. Of course they should have the opportunity to compete....they are not CORNWALL Youth Band. They have every right to compete against other youth bands that were at the can only make the contest more prestigous. They are a youth band of a competing band, however good they are. Bravo........Camborne you really made my were awesome!!!

Think you have to compare Greater Gwent with Cornwall Youth...although I can't see Camborne Youth being far off the pace!!

Mr Aber Euph, you need a partner to play Laurel and Hardy with!!! Anyway Jamie, see you at Whit Friday.....
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2007