Camborne Announces New Musical Director

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by J Taylor Percussion, Jul 9, 2008.

1. J Taylor Percussion

J Taylor Percussion New Member

Camborne Town Band are delighted to announce that Kevin Mackenzie has has been appointed as Musical Director. Kevin, who was the band's second euphonium player, has been conducting them since May and has now decided that the time is right to lead the band on a permanent basis.

Kevin studied in Yorkshire for a BA (hons) and also achieved an ABRSM and LRSM in performance on the euphonium, gaining a distinction in both. Whilst at university, Kevin passed an audition for principal euphonium at Carlton Main Band, but eventually turned this down to become a member of Brighouse & Rastrick. While at Brighouse, he played in around 180 concerts throughout the country, 12 CD recordings and an appearance on Japanese television. He was also part of winning performances at the Yorkshire Areas 1997, the National Finals 1997, Whit Friday 1998, the All England Masters 1998 and the Europeans 1998. Within this time, Kevin played in concerts with Grimethorpe, Fodens, Faireys, YBS and Black Dyke.

Working alongside Camborne's new Professional Music Advisor, Dr. Robert Childs, Kevin will be conducting the band for the Scottish Open in November, Yeovil Entertainment Contest in February and Bugle next June. Bob Childs will direct the band in Blackpool next year and Kevin will also have the opportunity to work with Garry Cutt who will lead the band at the 2009 Area contest. Further to this, the band are welcoming Richard Evans to Camborne again in September for a concert which will also feature Cornwall Boys Choir and Flava - the Cornish dance group that were featured on Britain's Got Talent!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Camborne Announces New
    Musical Director
    band
    basis.
    BA
  3. yipeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

4. ghost

ghost Member

Congratulations to the Camborne Town Band. Mr Childs will inspire the band. Best of Luck to Kevin. Leading Camborne is a real honour - you follow in the footsteps of some great names of the banding world - not least Mr Fred Roberts who led Camborne to a host of victories at the regionals. Cornwall needs bands like Camborne and Mount Charles at the top of their form to fly the flag for the county at national level. I anticipate seeing Camborne as a strong contender in 2009 at the Nationals. Well done - good choices.

5. lowsaints

lowsaints Member

That should be Dr Childs!!

6. ghost

ghost Member

Oh what a terrible blunder - I will be sure to apologise to the good doctor when I meet him later in the year!! I am sure he will forgive me :)