Calling all Uni Students

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TuTuKu, Nov 22, 2005.

1. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Hi there, i'd be very grateful if any uni students out there could fil this out... if you don't want to disclose your answers feel free to PM me [​IMG]

I am a student studying Geography at The University of Edinburgh. As part of the first year human geography assessment, I have chosen to research the extent to which UK students perceive their country as ‘racially harmonious’ and whether the media and immigration policies influence this. I would be most grateful if you could assist me by completing this short questionnaire.

Any information or opinions you give will remain confidential and it will not be possible, when the report is written up, to identify any information you give.

Please answer all questions.

1) What subject(s) are you reading at university? (e.g., Geography)

2) Where is your current (term-time) residence? (e.g., Edinburgh)

3) How would you describe your ethnicity? (e.g. White British, Asian British)

4i) By which means do you use to keep up to date with current affairs?(Please state as many as appropriate)
    a)Broadcasted News (Television or Radio)
    b)Internet News Sites
    c)Newspapers
    d)Other, please specify

4ii) If you checked ‘Newspapers’ please specify which you read on a regular basis: (please check as many boxes as appropriate)
    a)The Daily Mail
    b)The Daily Mirror
    c)The Daily Telegraph
    d)The Guardian
    e)The Independent
    f)The News of The World
    g)The Sun
    h)The Times
    i)Local Paper
    j)Other, please specify

5) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough ethnic representation in the media? (1=too much representation, 5=not enough representation, 3= wholly representative)

6) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough being done to integrate new immigrants into the UK way of life? (1=too much being done, 5=not enough being done, 3=the right amount being done)

7) On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate the racial relations in the area you currently live? (1=extremely volatile, 5=peaceful)

8) To what extent do you believe discussions and debates on immigration in the UK to be: (please choose the view that is most similar to your own)
    a)Free and open discussions
    b)Mainly open discussions with a caution not to offend
    c)Fairly open discussions that avoid very contentious issues
    d)Partially restricted discussions
    e)Restricted discussions, debating only the least offensive issues
    f)Don’t know

9) Which do you believe is the best way for debates on immigration to be conducted? (please chose the view that is most similar to your own)
    a)Free and open discussions
    b)Mainly open discussions with a caution not to offend
    c)Fairly open discussions that avoid contentious issues
    d)Partially restricted discussions
    e)Restricted discussions, debating only the least offensive issues
    f)Don’t know

Thank you for you time.