Calling all smart people: what is this recording?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassknuckles, Sep 2, 2005.

1. brassknuckles

brassknuckles New Member

I need some help identifying the album or band featured on an old cassette. This should pose a good challenge for anybody well-versed in old brass recordings!

The tape belongs to my dad. He’s crazy about it, but it’s a copy of a copy of a copy. That means that the quality is really poor, so I’d love to be able to order him a copy of the original as a surprise gift. However, because it’s a copied-copy, none of the original packaging or liner notes are anywhere to be found.

There is, however, a tracklist scrawled on the back of the cassette. Given the religious nature of the songs, as well as the general feel, it seems logical to assume it’s a Salvation Army band. Here’s the tracklist:

I Go to the Rock
    Leaning
    He Lives
    Jesus Saves
    We Will Stand
    When the Roll is Called Up Yonder
    There Is Power
    When We All
    Love Lifted Me
    Victory in Jesus
    Jesus Medley

The music is contemporary and upbeat, and the arrangements are bombastic and jazzy. Trombones and trumpets are the featured instruments, but they’re backed up by a drum kit and a piano, and sometimes a sax can be heard. The musicians are all incredibly talented, with note-for-note perfection and a great deal of improvisational solos showing off their top-notch training.

It’s a live recording – audience clapping and conductor remarks can be heard. Hopefully it’s an officially distributed copy and not a bootleg, because otherwise that might pose some trouble. The conductor has a fairly strong American accent – perhaps Washington?

The word “Hendon” is scrawled in the margins, as are the words “Enfield” and “Metro”. However, these markings may belongs to side 2 of the cassette, which seems to be unrelated recordings of straight-laced brass marches.

If anybody feels they would benefit from hearing some audio clips, I can digitize segments of the cassette and make them available as MP3s. But I’ll wait for some responses before I do that.

I appreciate any responses, thoughts, comments and leads you can offer! Thanks so much for your help.

-brassknuckles

2. pegleg

pegleg Member

Just a thought. Could it be "Manhattan Brass" ? Several members of the New York Staff Band and some top brass players from other states played a few of these, but I think "Beneath the Cross of Jesus" was also on their record (from 1960's).

3. brassknuckles

brassknuckles New Member

It sounds possible - thanks for the tip. But I think we're looking at something a little more recent than the '60s. The inclusion of the song "Victory in Jesus" implies that it has to be at the very least mid-80s - that's when that song was starting to become popular.

thanks, though!

-bk