Calling All Rugby League Fans

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by aimee_euph, Feb 26, 2004.

1. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

Sign This Petition

It's for the BBC showing the Super League show to the whole country.

Just edited this to make the link correct!

-Fishsta

2. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

seems like a bad idea to me... there they are watching the proper rugby in the 6 nations, and you go and drop league on them?

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Nearly up to 1000 signatures, but whether the beeb will take any notice I don't know. I like watching both codes of rugby (which has probably alienated most of those reading this thread :shock: ), but have mainly relied on the BBC coverage to do so, apart from when I was playing for a couple of Challenge Cup Finals at Wembley in the 70s - needless to say it was in the band, not on the pitch :!: :wink: :lol:

4. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I like both codes too :shock:.

I think the league show should be shown nationwide as it relates to a nationwide sport. Plus helps stop people thinking that League is too uncouth to be show daan Saarf.

5. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

I signed the petition, but I think there wouldn't be masses of interest. In Bedford where I am from originally, rugby meant union and there was very little interest in League. I suppose the London Broncos fans would be interested though, and people connected with amateur rugby league.

Also the more people who get to see League the more people realise union is much better. :D

6. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

In St. Helens, rugby means league and there is no interest what so ever in Union. Us league fans have to sit through onion during the 6 nations and the world cup, but what about the few Challenge cup matches there is a year. It's not only onion either, it's the same with football, and tennis, and racing.

7. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

well said aimee i especially like the onions for union

8. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

In terms of domestic rugby there isn't that much more union on telly than league, its just that the international scene isn't as developed in league. Australia have won every world cup there's been, and matches between England and the other home nations would be even more unmatched than in union.

9. rutty

rutty Active Member

Hardly ;)

Domestic Union games are generally pretty poor affairs. The internationals are superb to watch, and I can appreciate the differences in the two codes, but IMHO the professional League team games are more entertaining. I enjoy union too, but for me League rules :)

This is the Rhinos year too. 8)

10. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

although normally a devout union man, I have to say having watched the shambles that was Newcastle vs London Irish (and these people get paid???) and compared it to the Wigan v Widnes match I have to say the league lot got some brownie points there!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Rugby League Fans.
    show
    link
    url
    country
  12. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

You're beginning to see the light Lynchie! I saw both and there can be no doubt that the Wigan/Widnes match had much more pace and flow and was much more enjoyable, made more so by the fact that Widnes forgot to bring any defence...

And three cheers for Saints for beating Bradford! Bet you never thought you'd hear me say that, Mr Twist!

D

13. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

When I went on a trip down under I was amazed at the quality of the rugby generally, but the league playing was out of this world - the pace and skill were awesome - I mean in NZ and Oz they play union at the same pace as league over here, so you can image how quick league is played over there.

14. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Hear, hear! I don't watch either code that much, but was pleasantly surprised by BBC's double bill yesterday and watched the vast majority of both matches. Also (union wise) caught highlights of Wasps shocker against the Bees last night! What struck me was the lack of recriminations (OK it didn't make any difference in the end) but that and what appeared to me to be an acceptance of a refereeing howler which denied the Bees a perfectly good (and long!) drop goal.

Compare that to the recriminations following yesterday's Carling Cup. How a referee is meant to see a two footed penalty kick in a split second when someone slips is beyond me. It's all right for Sam Allardyce to say 'I've seen it on the monitor and it shouldn't have been given'. Did the referee have the opportunity to make a decision after viewing a replay on a monitor? Er, no. I don't have a lot of time for our football referees and have nothing but admiration for Bolton and they way the've built themselves up to be a force to be reckoned with in the Premiership but their moaning was too much this time.

No doubt this will rekindle discussions in the football world regarding video referees (which didn't seem to be available for the Bees' drop kick yesterday.....)

15. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

Wigan were rubbish compared to Saints Vs. Bradford. Oh how i'l remember the twsited look on Robbie Paul's face at full time! 8)

16. Fishsta

Fishsta Active Member

Ah, but Wigan only played half a match.

IF Saints manage to get through, I look forward to Wigan beating them soundly. Like last year. Every time.