####calling All Percussionists####

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by andylockett86, Nov 10, 2006.

1. andylockett86

andylockett86 Member

I want to start a campaign for percussionists to get a concert band jacket. I know some don't like wearing full sleeve jackets (even though the best players of dyke, cory, grimethorpe etc all wear jackets) so, maybe a waistcoat in the same colours would be nice. I personally always feel like a bit of a goon at the back wearing a white shirt and bowtie :) when the rest of the band wear really posh concert jackets. Any help from drummers around the world? What do you think?
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

That's what our percussionists wear...........
  3. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Next you'll be wanting to be treated like any other member of the band! ;)
  4. andylockett86

andylockett86 Member

oh here we go lol i knew this would spark various whitty comments from MD's around the country :)
  5. Di

Di Active Member

My son gets to wear a very snazzy waistecoat in the band he's helping out at the mo.

The problem he has though when he has to wear a shirt instead of a polo shirt is the sticks get caught in the opening above the cuff, so he has to undo them and roll them up a little bit. Doesn't look brill, but better than the stick flying off behind him somewhere like it did in the middle of his drum break at the Pontins concert last year. :-?
  6. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

wastecoats , jackets....it's all rubbish a nice kaftan combo with sandals is the way forward or white shirt , braces , shorts and a little green hat work wonders

Attached Files:

7. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I'd be happy wearing a waistcoat. At least then we look like part of the band rather than the poor relations at the back.
  8. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Our persecutionists have lovely matching waistcoats for the stage uniform, they look ace!
  9. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Kaftans for everyone (except the MD!)
  10. andylockett86

andylockett86 Member

jonesy! always the one wi the jokes lol i know sticks get caught in cuffs because its happened to me on numerous occasions. How do black dyke's percussionists get away with it though?
  11. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

my band has just got new stage uniforms which includes waistcoats for percussionists. all the uniforms were pretty much made to measure. i guess this is where bands fall down... they get various extra sizes in the band jackets, and don't in the waistcoats. ive played with a couple of bands who have waistcoats, but they don't fit anyone else except the person it was made for. so when new people come down and do a concert or whatever, they don't have any waistcoats that fit, and therefore it looks daft having only one person without a waistcoat, so in this instance its better that none of them wear waistcoats.

by all means campaign for all percussionists to have waistcoats at bands, but do you honestly think this will be implemented? for some bands its just too expensive to get more waistcoats.

i think if you personally want a waistcoat, then campaign to your band. i don't mind wearing no waistcoat or jacket and standing there in my white shirt and dickie bow.
  12. andylockett86

andylockett86 Member

lol i only mean 'campaign' in a light hearted way. just feel a bit left out at the back. wore a concert jacket the other night for first time and it looked so much better
  13. I think it would be good if we had a waistcoat. My solution to sticks up sleave cuffs is to turn the cuff back inside the sleave. It makes the sleave look slightly short but it's not as bad as being rolled up.
  14. andylockett86

andylockett86 Member

yeah-the way i do it is i wear a slightly small shirt so sleeves longer. dont fasten top button but bow tie covers that and i chose a small concert jacket-short sleeves-and it worked didn't once catch a stick in the cuff!!! :)
  15. andylockett86

andylockett86 Member

got that wrong sorry-so that sleeves of shirt are shorter (its been a long day)
  16. Tack7

Tack7 Member

How about a straight jacket in the bands colours? Just an idea :eek:P

17. impycornet

impycornet Member

Take the sticks off them - then they can't get caught up anywhere ??
  18. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I'd actually prefer the other way round - let's get rid of the daft military style jackets covered in gold braid that cost £150 a pop every time someone leaves the band and forgets to return their jacket (sorry Northop :oops: ). Why don't we all wear DJs or coloured shirts/waistcoats like YBS?
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've moved the thread here as it seems a more suitable discussion area.
  20. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Ours have waistcoats, but normally they dont bother wearing them! I like Si's idea of matching straight-jackets tho! :biggrin:

Next thing you percussionists will be wanting, is the other bandmembers to carry all your gear around for you.....wait, hang on, does that not already happen....;)