Calling all managers out there

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by SuperMosh, Dec 2, 2006.

1. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

I am currently designing a Powerpoint presentation for a promotion job interview. I am not expecting a great deal of help here but thought I would try :)

I am fine with the general nuts and bolts of what is needed in terms of the organisational ethos and 'feel'. What I am struggling with is some specific advice / links to sites (free as my new suit has cost me a bomb, Xmas is nearly here and I don't want to spend £30 for a book I may never use again) which cover the following:

- How to integrate with a team as a new manager
    - How to establish the role of manager - priorities
    - Management of change

Also, anybody know where I can get some nice powerpoint templates - have tried Microsoft online office asst / online community but to no avail. Looking for purple and orange scheme with a professional and slick look. Purple and orange to match my suit you see ;)

All help warmly received.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

3. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Powerpoint is now sorted - cheers Brassneck!

Still need some help with this management nonsense though....

4. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

There's load of useful info on teams & change management here:

On the last point, there's a wealth of stuff on the net - you might find this useful as a starting point:

As for Powerpoint - it's you they are looking to hire, not Powerpoint so I wouldn't get hung up on the templates and remember that "Death by Powerpoint" will hinder rather than help your case.

Are you sure this is the right career move then?;)

Regardless of whether you get the job or not, preparing for your next role in management by looking at the Certificate/Diploma in Mgmt or even an MBA would be useful. (I did an MBA via the Open University and it was the best thing I ever did career wise)

Best of luck.
  5. timbloke

timbloke Member

You could try watching The Office.... At least you'd know what not to do!!
  6. Di B

Di B Member

Go to
    It has lot of info on management style techniques.

You might want to think about the Control Loop, SMART objectives, motivation techniques and change.

I'm no whizz, but currently on the Cert. in Business Management, so if you have a specific, basic question PM me and I'll try to help, but businessballs in pretty good.

The only thing I would suggest on powerpoint is heavily summarise what you put on slides - especially if you are presenting. It should really be used as a tool to get across key points rather than look like a word document. This also ensure you keep your listeners interested!
    Sadly, I can't provide a Powerpoint presentation I have done as they are in my companies colours, but you can set up your own slide style/colour on powerpoint - I think that is the best you will get??
  7. Brassy Lady

Brassy Lady Member

Definitely; the last time I did a Powerpoint presentation for an interview I didn't use any words at all on it, just images, and they loved it. I wish I could help you with the Management of Change bit - I should be able to as that is now what I supposedly work in, but I just make it up, as do my colleagues, it's a load of ****. What makes it worse is that this is in the NHS where people are dying from Hospital Acquired Infections beacause they (the 'management') won't fund adequate cleaning staff, operations are cancelled because of staff shortages; but they will fund teams like mine which would be totally unnecessary if the organisation was properly managed and resourced. :ranting2:
    Oops, gone a bit off topic, sorry - rant over!!

Anyway, re your presentation - Less Is More!! - and do stand up whilst presenting, sounds obvious I know but you would be surprised!
  8. Di B

Di B Member

Just looked at my last TMA on change - I'd forgotten how much I'd written!!!
    These items may point you in the right direction with some research.... apologies if it is a bit harsh to the eye, but hopefully its helpful!

You need to prepare and implement a change plan
    Identify the changes and record in a force field analysis (Lewin) - shows fors and againsts change
    The change equation (do factors supporting change outweigh the costs)
    Preparing a change climate - communicate, networking, education as to why change is needed (ie get people on your side and aware that change will occur)
    Change strategies to use (Thurley and Wirdenius)
    Participative, negotiating, expert, educative and expert - all different ways of getting people on your side
    Plan change - timetable - leave 10% contingency in for unforeseen events
    Review those who are commited, opposed and involved. What stage are they now - where do they need to be. (This ties into the change strategies above too)

The primary reasons for the opposition (based on Kanters research) are;

• Teams feel change is being done to them rather than by them (Loss of Control)
    • Loss of identity caused by aspects of their jobs changing
    • More Work for the teams identified
    • Possible unintended consequences that happen as a result of the project

You also need to evaluate and monitor change (the bit usually forgotten)

Knowing the control loop might also be of benefit - set objectives, plan and carry out tasks, monitor progress, act on results.
    This is used for any project and can apply to a project managing change.
  9. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

:biggrin: Oh yes, have watched both series of the office!

Thanks for this info Andy, Di and Helen - really helpful. I am scanning through 20 tabs in Firefox as we speak!!!!!! Cheers :clap:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006