Calling All Bartione Players Solo&2nds

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ian perks, Feb 8, 2005.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I have just got the full score of Rienzi as i play 2nd Baritone 1st Section (NO SHAME IN THAT) in our band, i have just compared, Rienzi 2ndBaritone part- Comedy Overture 2nd Baritone part and to me the best / most interesting out of the two parts for 2nd Baritone as got to be COMEDY, plenty to do and well worth playing.
    Myself im enjoying every minute of it:biggrin:
    Also the Solo Baritone part looks better in COMEDY to.:)
    So what would you prefer to play if you had a choice
    2nd Baritone COMEDY/
    2nd Baritone RIENZI.

Baritone players lets have your comments please:clap:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Rienzi
    Comedy Overture 2nd Baritone
    Bartione
    2nd Baritone 1st Section
    Rienzi 2ndBaritone
  3. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Can't comment on this as I've never seen either of the pieces but I am finding the 2nd baritone part of Tam O'shanter very challenging. For once I haven't just got a lower version of the 1st baritone part. It does make a great deal of difference when practicing

4. RacMac

RacMac New Member

We are playing 'Comedy' this year and my husband plays 2nd bari. We know a chap who plays 2nd bari for a championship band who was rehearsing all the areas pieces for a masterclass. He said that while he was playing 'Comedy' he was having a good laugh to himself about my husband having to play that part on stage, as his own part for Rienzi was easier!

5. Patkin

Patkin New Member

Also playing 2nd Bari for Tam O Shanter...it's not easy..!!!!!!

6. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

This thread could be about Rienzi as a whole, not just the baritone parts! Maybe it isn't as challenging technically as you might expect, but there's a big difference between playing a piece ok and playing it really well, even if it is relavely easy. And the beginning for 1st bari is a bitch, no matter how simple it looks on the page.

7. Patkin

Patkin New Member

opps sorry, back to Rienzi...sorry never seen it...

8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

From what I have seen in band, there are a few high bits and some triple tonguing, but what this piece really forces players to do is focus on the fundamentals (fundamentals that are often not done perfectly and not noticed because of the fingers-work) . In order for the baritone to even be heard amongst all the loud bits, they need to play with good breath support and loud, but not tone splitting loud. In the few soft bits, pitch is critical.

I'm finding a bass part that is not technically difficult, very difficult to play perfectly, but unlike some test pieces I think perfection can actually be a goal on this one, so it is a different kind of difficult than most are used to.

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

.... very eloquently put! :clap: If the basics are not mastered completely, the results could be costly!