Calling all army/marines/royal band people/fans... help needed!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by little_miss_marcroft, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Does anyone know the name of the fanfare in the link below? My Dad has been trying to find out for some time now... bless his cotton socks. TMP'ers to the rescue please!!!

2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I'm a bit unclear as to exactly which bit you mean?

There's a fanfare-style passage towards the beginning seems to be part of a combined work for fanfare team plus band. I don't recognise it, although it sounds stylistically a bit like something Laurie Johnson would have written. I know he wrote quite a few things in this style for military bands.

Later on, about halfway through there is another fanfare, which precedes the national anthem. I don't believe it has a specific name; most people just know it as "Fanfare & the Queen", and it was written by Gordon Jacob. (May have been written for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, but don't quote me on that!)

Sorry, can't be more help.
  3. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Fanfare To The First Sea Lord by Major Dave Cole.

(Written for sir Jock Slater)
  4. GJG... I mean the first fanfare at the beginning.

Mesmerist... is that the same fanfare you hear?

5. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Yes thats the one. If you need more info on it you can pm grandad as he identified it immediately and double checked on his list of tunes that it is the same piece.