Callas or Cornet?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by eflatbass, Feb 20, 2011.

1. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

It’s no contest really, is it? Listen to Maria Callas performing the Casta Diva Aria from Belinni’s opera, Norma, and wonder how the cornet can possibly come any where near reproducing that wonderful dramatic effect.

However; I completed my new cornet solo arrangement earlier today, and the full score and midi recording can be found on my web site. The band parts will be produced specially for anyone emailing me with a request (my email address is on the web site).

Remember; there is no charge for any of my music.

2. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Member

IMHO brass players historically just absolutely butcher the Casta Diva aria. Even the big name performers especially if they are performing it as part of the Arban variations. They usually play it waaaaaaaay too fast and seem to have absolutely no concept. It's like they have never even bothered to do any of the necessary homework at all. I can't even imagine attempting to perform anything out of the opera literature without doing some historical research and listening to multiple vocal sources.

I think the big three vocal sources for Bellini and especially the Casta Diva aria in chronological order would have to be

1. Rosa Ponselle - and

2. Maria Callas -
    and and especially the 1949 version -

3. Montseratte Caballe -

Listen to that tempo. Around 40, Not 60-70 like some folks race thru it :)

Rant mode off now :)
  3. eflatbass

Thank you. That is the very reason why I state on my web site: " Before you think about performing this music, do please go to Youtube and seek out the Maria Callas interpretation of this most wonderful of arias."

4. eflatbass

In response to a number of requests, I have now added the solo part as a separate PDF file on my web site. It's free to print, as usual.