Call of the Sea

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sudcornet, Jul 29, 2003.

1. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Does anyone one know of a recording of Eric Ball's "Call of the Sea" overture? I've searched in all the usual places, to no avail. Surely someone, at some time will have recorded it.

2. jinx

jinx Member

have you tried listening to a conch shell? :D
  3. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

I have tried everywhere, it must be on an old LP somewhere but I haven't found one yet!
  4. Toby

Toby Member

I think Dyke have just recorded it, but I don't know when it will be released.

Toby Bannan
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

October, I think :!:
  6. SammyT

SammyT Member

Thats really helpful then as we play it in september!!!!!! :? :!:
  7. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I suggest you contact pondasher from this forum. He has one of the largest brass band record collections in the country. There is also a link to his web site from sacriston bands website
  8. Active Member

Dyke have recorded an all Eric Ball CD on the Doyen label (DOY CD147) and it is due to be released on Saturday 6th September at the Great Northern Brass Arts Festival at Bridgewater Hall in Manchester.

Call of the Sea is not on this disc so, if Dyke have recorded it, it may be on someone elses label.

However, if you want to order this new Dyke CD, it is called Eric Ball - Festival Music, our Mail Order people can take your order now (CD22088) and it will be sent to you soon after 6th September.
  9. satchmo shaz

incidently has anyone found any mistakes/errata in call of the sea? we have found 2 or 3 so far, will list em soon
  10. SammyT

SammyT Member

Well after a long and tiring band room tidy up last night and sorting out of 50+ year old cupboard of music we found the bands original copy of call of the sea!!!! :? :? :shock: :shock:
    Some of the errors we thought are on the originals so obviously not errors!! Apart from number 17 still being in the wrong place for solo cornets!!!!
  11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Obviously not errors, or errors not spotted last time? It always surprises me how often you pick up a copy which has probably been played very many times and find mistakes that are not marked. Whether players in the past have played the right thing without marking the copy or just not realised anything as amiss we shall never know. :wink:
  12. SammyT

SammyT Member

Well with call of the sea near the end there is a section which repeats what was played earlier on. The 1st time it is played you accel. but the second time you don't but I suppose people just accel. anyway! (like we did for a couple of weeks before some one noticed - our md was away!!!!!) :D :D
  13. satchmo shaz

pity we haven't found the original score!! it would be interesting to have a look at that!!.........maybe we will soon!
  14. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

I have what appears to be an original score. I presume you mean the sections from 2-3 and 18-19, neither of which have an accel. on here. There is an accel. into 2 but not into 18, but we are already at the con moto tempo by then. If that makes sense.