Caliban - Arthur Butterworth , anyone?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by xRinat, Oct 20, 2009.

1. xRinat

xRinat Member

Does anyone have a recording of the piece called Caliban by Arthur Butterworth, the piece was played once as a test piece in 1981.

I really need to hear this, please anyone?

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The winning performance by Brighouse was recorded on LP at that time.

3. floppymute

floppymute Member

Don't know about a recording, but it pre-dates 1981 so it could be worth looking further back.
    I clearly recall this being set as a (old designation) second section testpiece in 1976

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It was chosen as the 1981 European Set Test and definitely recorded. I have a copy.

5. xRinat

xRinat Member

Could you send me that copy? :)

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's an LP. You never know, there might still be a few on sale somewhere.

7. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

Nearly right! It was used as the 1975 National Finals test piece,at the Imperial College of Science and Technology, London.Winners on the day, Northumbria Police Band.

8. xRinat

xRinat Member

I'll try and search!

9. floppymute

floppymute Member

I stand corrected.
    What a fun day that was!:cool:

10. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

Hey Floppymute, (sorry don't know your real name ), were you playing at the finals back in 75? and if so, who for?I was playing for the old Coventry School of Music Band back then. Can't remember where we came but had a pretty good band round about that time. Mark H.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Arthur Butterworth
    Caliban
    piece
    recording
    test piece
  12. floppymute

floppymute Member

I was playing for Brindle that day. We'd just just lost our conductor of long-standing, a certain Richard Evans, who'd got us to the finals, but had just moved on to Wingates and greater things.
    As I recall we didn't do very well.

13. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

It was indeed, and I have seen a copy for sale on Ebay quite recently, which like most other LPs gets relisted quite often, on account of the fact that few people have turntables to play them on nowadays.

What the postage is to - was it Kazhakstan or Scandinavia, Mr XRinat? - I have no idea, but perhaps it might cost less than one might think??;)

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Prices tend to be OTT as well. I prefer to browse old record or charity shops. Quite amazing what can be found. I virtually got the PJBE collection for little to nothing in a sidestreet classical shop a while back. The brass LPs were kept in a box hidden from view.

15. James Yelland

I too am a diehard vinyl collector. I found an old LP by PJBE of works by Robert Suter. Mind you, it isn't very good....but it is rare!

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've not heard that one yet! :wow

17. James Yelland

Neither had I until I spotted it on Ebay, although it does appear in the PJBE discography in Jones' biography. But as I say, the music is only so-so.

Sorry, I seem to have drifted off the subject of Caliban. My head is full of noises...

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The Caliban performance by Briggus stands up fairly well after all these years. James Scott was forward looking around this period (from about the late '70s when he conducted Fodens) so the playing is detailed and consistent from one section to another.

19. James Yelland

20. xRinat

xRinat Member