Buying stuff from abroad

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Fridge, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Fridge

Fridge Member

Just bought a new mouthpiece from the states. It worked out cheaper for me to sit here and buy it that get on the train to go and purchase one.

Why does everything cost so much over here!!!!
  2. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

We (I use the term losely!) bought my car from Ireland, even after bringing it over, paying all the tax and such like it was still MUCH cheaper
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

We're simply 'Rip Off Britain' (R.O.B. Says it all, really....)
  4. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I bought one from the US recently too. I ordered it on the Friday lunchtime, and put Ireland as the delivery address as I thought it might take a few weeks. It was despatched that evening (our time) and arrived in Ireland on the Tuesday. Fantastic service - I'll definitely use that site again! :-D
  5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

On the other hand, I buy most of my brass band CDs from British suppliers and have them shipped back to the States.

Although that's more a function of availability than of price.
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Many of my wind band cds have come from the US via ebay as there is only a limited number of suppliers over here.
  7. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I buy most of my CDs etc from abroad (especially on ebay,) Mainly from the US/Canada. You can get CD sent over from the states for the same amuont in dollars as they'd cost in pounds over here, even after shipping costs!! I don't usually bid any more than about $5 - $7.50 and shipping is usually about 5 or 6 dollars. So a CD that would probably set me back £10-£15 in the shop here only costs me $13.50 max. I've also bought mouthpieces and sheet music for a lot less than they would be over here!