Buying from USA via internet

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by clairebear, Aug 27, 2007.

1. clairebear

clairebear New Member

I am looking to buy a flugel from the USA via the web. Can anyone tell me if I will have to pay import duties or any other taxes?

2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

In a word, yes. Sometimes you can get away with it for smaller items like DVD's etc but for something that size I think HM Customs and Excise would take a look. Think you have to pay VAT on top of import duty.
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm I tried to do this the other year and it was an unmitigated disaster, resulting in several emails, months and months of waiting and in the end a cancelled order and the flugel actually being bought from my local retailer.

I'm not saying don't do it, but in my experiance the Atlantic is a very good barrier against you actually getting some of that legendary USA customer service.

And yes you will have to pay import duty on it - or at least you should budget for it. Something as big as a flugel is unlikely to get past Customs and Excise. I found a website that I could work out what the import duty was going to be (here) its a bit undescriptive, but you need to find your TARIC code - so click the browse button and work through the options. You can then fill in where its coming from and you should then get a percentage which has to be added onto the value of the goods. Just working quickly through it I got 3.2%, but if I were you I'd do it again to make sure.

Oh and as John quite rightly says - don't forget to add VAT onto the total value (including the import duty) of the flugel.

Hope this helps. :)

(BTW - :hi to tMP)
  5. clairebear

clairebear New Member

Guess it wouldn't be the bargain I had first thought. The price was £750 rather than £1249 locally. But if I add on 3.2% import duty, £180 shipping and VAT its not much of a saving for a lot of potential hassle.

Thanks for your help folks-back to the drawing board!
  6. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

The order you need to add the charges would be;

Freight Charges
    Import Duty

Then VAT on the total. Ouch!
  7. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

I just ordered a couple of mouthpieces, some music, and various accessories such as valve oil, etc, from a USA website. Everything was roughly half the price that it is in England. I ordered the goods last Tues, and they arrived on Friday. I had to pay an extra £18 vat, to the UPS man, but it still worked out much cheaper than buying the stuff here!
  8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

For some things it is definitely cheaper buying from the US and getting them shipped over, even with shipping and the various charges.
    Another option is to see if you know anyone who makes frequent trips to the US and find out if they would be willing to bring it back for you.

Again, you SHOULD declare this to customs and pay the relevant duty on it, but the shipping costs are vastly reduced.
  9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hehe... there's two ways of interpreting that capitalised 'SHOULD' there Mike :);)