buying a new flugel horn

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevecritchlow, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Hi Folks
    Am thinking of buying a new flugel horn for our band, and thought I'd ask for the benefit of peoples experience out there.
    Am looking for a really good flugel that is suitable for for a third section band which tends to have younger players, so perhaps not some of the huge bore ones that are appearing. Also needs to have good build quality as the band will need it to last through several different players over the years1
    previously had a strad in silver which has been a good servant, but is now a bit tired.

budget is perhaps £2k
  2. 3rdcornetsolo

3rdcornetsolo Member

Yamaha 631 - approx £1275 new. Great 'traditional brass band' sounding instrument. Sweet sounding, responsive and easy to fill. Has triggers and is available in silver or laquer.

for something a little different...

Yamaha 6310Z Bobby Shew model flugel - approx £1350 new. As above but a slightly smaller/lighter model designed for the jazz market. It's very easy to fill, plays more similarly to a cornet (in its response) but has a slightly 'brighter' sound.

3. missflugel

missflugel Member

I have played on a Courtois Flugel for about 10 years but the band bought a new one and I asked for a Yamaha one. Easy to play, light and good up a height, the sound takes a bit of time to get to that of a Courtois but overall I am very happy with the Yamaha and would thoroughly recommend it

Jo x
  4. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

5. Cochyn

Cochyn Member

I own a Yamaha 631OZ Bobby Shew Flugel. Can't fault it and those who have borrowed it on occasion loved it. As above, has 3rd valve trigger.

Its either that or a Bach Flugel IMO ;)
  6. british1

british1 Member

Buying a new flugel don't mess about with eclipses and phat boys. Tuning is awful. Stick with the yamaha maestro. It's in tune easy to blow and a fraction of the cost of some of the handmade rubbish
  7. dizzystinker

dizzystinker Member

Well I've got an eclipse and I love it!
  8. Cochyn

Cochyn Member

Suppose its more down to player preference. Few aspects to take into account i.e. level of ability - so whether or not your dependant on an instrument that's easier to get to the higher register with, Model design - although the Bach is a great instument, its a little more awkward to hold as apposed to the Yamaha, Tuning - some are a little more difficult than others to tune with a band etc.

Yamski all the way IMO, tick majority of the boxes and I believe most top bands use them as well ;)
  9. british1

british1 Member

There are quite a few instruments on the market that have slightly better aspects to them than the Yamaha e.g Easier to hold. Trigger in a good position. High register playing. Better valves. Tuning e.t.c, but overall, the Yam is the one that will do the job, particularly when it comes to tuning
  10. Cochyn

Cochyn Member

I disagree. Not being biased, but I don't see many that can rival the Yamski on design wise (as well as what's mentioned above). They're nice and compact, especially where the bell meets the valves as its not spaced too far apart. But if some find the handling awkward, which is a first I've heard of, then that'll be one negative and quite a few positives ;)

@ Steve Critchlow

Just go try a few out, you might have specific requirements others don't. There's also a thread hovering about this forum with a spot on review about all the Flugel's on the market. The Yamaha models proving to be the better option.
  11. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Actually Alan that might be on 4BarsRest....;)

You can buy a hell of a flugel for 2 grand - actually you can buy most flugels for 2 grand. But the first comment above is the best I've read so far on this thread - there are loads to choose from and the philosophy behind the designs of flugels can be very variable so the best thing to do is to try as many as you can and find the one that suits you - flugel choice can be very personal.

I play on a Kanstul 1525 (as I have said a million times on here :wink:) I love it, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone without them playing it first. But that goes for any flugel I know. I love my Kanstul because the sound is stunning, but its big (huge in fact) and can be a pig to play if you're not on top of your game. For me the sound on flugel is everything, so I made the choice to deal with the rest because the Kanstul had such a great sound. Horses for courses - and my personal choice.

In terms of the OP - when I read it I thought straight away Yammy Maestro. A kid in our youth band has one and I was very impressed with the sound, build quality and tuning when I played it. That said, its not the best sounding out there, or the best built (but its close but the handbuilt Kanstul, Taylors and Eclipse are slightly better) but is a fantastic jack-of-all-trades and probably is the best fit for the requirement listed in the original post IMO. But I would get yourself down to a decent music shop and try as many as you can lay your hand on back-to-back.
  12. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Interesting that you say the Eclipse has "awful" tuning - I have one (copper bell) and it is simply a delight to play - no more mucking about having to lip every note into tune, it just works.
    Sometimes when we play instruments of that quality we have to put aside the habits we have learned on lesser instruments and actually play the instrument in the centre of its tuning - something that is next to impossible most cheaper flugels. This has been the case with the Eclipse flugel and Eclipse trumpet I now use - I had become so accustomed to lipping in certain notes that I was doing it naturally, I have had to unlearn this detrimental habit so that I can make the best use of these amazing instruments.

That said, this does not answer the original question - If you are looking for a general, easy to play, suitable for all flugel I WOULD NOT recommend the Eclipse - it is designed for players who know what they are doing and know what they are looking for (it is not for everybody, but the vast majority of people I know who have tried it end up wanting, then buying one).
    Of the brands mentioned so far, the Kanstul is an excellent instrument, with a gorgeous tone. Likewise the Yamaha models (although I might suggest that the Shew is a little bright for many brass bands, especially if the player is young and might have a tendency towards a brighter sound naturally).
    If budget is a deciding factor (which it sounds like it isn't) - I have been very impressed with the Jupiter flugel - possibly the best value for money on the market at the moment (closely followed by the B&S).
  13. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Member

Try Heliosuk Flugel

We at Heliosuk have a very good flugel at a reasonable price.
    Check it out on our web site,
    We have many satisfied customers across Europe.
  14. british1

british1 Member

Buying a new flugel

It is all very subjective and no two instruments are the same. More so with the Flugel than any other instrument. It's a personal thing. I tried about 10 different ones last summer and when you start going in to the £2500 to £3000 bracket as opposed to around £1000-£1500, I couldn't see that they were any better. In fact in lot of cases, they were much worse.

Generally speaking, the mass produced instruments come off the assembly line and are all pretty much the same. They are precision made and the tuning and assembly are all controlled by computer to the most minute degrees. As with most things Japanese, the precision and reliability are superb. I found with the hand made instruments that there were to many variables and in some cases, the blokes who were tuning them didn't even play a brass instrument.. Unless you can really justify paying an extra £1000. I would stick with the tried and tested Flugels, because if you can't tell an instrument is £1000 better when you first blow it, after 3 or 4 weeks, you will be a very disappointed person.

As I said before, it is a personal thing, just beware of expensive handmade instruments. They are expensive because they are hand made, not because they are necessarily any good.
  15. Cochyn

Cochyn Member

All comments above pretty much a variation on a theme, just try them all out. But just to help narrow it down, here's that review of all the top Flugel's on offer (the popular choices used in most bands). The only one that isn't listed is the Bach, which has a really deep sonorous sound, surprised its not up there. Have a read, its quite good :) But if you decide to go for the Yamaha, get one with the 3rd valve trigger ;)
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  16. Val

Val Member

Bach Strad every time for me. Bought my own years ago and even when the band bought a new set of instruments including a Yamaha Flugel I ended up going back to my own Bach because the tuning and sound were just so much better.
  17. cornetshell

cornetshell Member

I have always heard the Yamaha's are easy to play in tune and still make a sweet sound.

No point messing with the expensive more unique or "pro" instruments if the players are still developing, they will want to learn how to blow it well and in tune, learning their own sound before experimenting with different models and bores.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  18. RussQ

RussQ Member

Quite agree. If you want an instrument that's gonna take a bit of abuse and still keep going, look no further than a Bach. I love mine ( despite an annoying sticky 1st valve!). I love the Courtois too but it may be a bit big for the younger player. Yam's are nice but not as sturdy, I had a Bobby shew trumpet once and the bell could be flexed when squeezed between finger and thumb!
    Try and get your hands on a few and definately try a strad.
  19. BenDuke

BenDuke New Member

Are people still buying/using the Bach and Yamaha Flugels recommended above or are other brands making Flugels that are just as good? Has anybody got or gried the newer Yamaha 8315GS or do they still think the older Maestro is the better instrument?