Buying a Baritone - which make?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by IYOUNG, Jun 1, 2004.

1. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Hi everyone,

Just in the process of buying a new Baritone and i wondered if anyone could offer any advice about which make to buy.

Any info would be much appreciated

thanks

Ian

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Baritone
    Ian
    new Baritone
    process
    info
  3. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

An old SA Triumphonic if you can get your hands on one! Finest baritones ever in my opinion.
    But I'd go with a Besson myself, as the Yamaha one's just don't seem to play as well (and no it's not my dodgy playing!)

4. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

You can't go far wrong with a Besson Sovereign, although you'd be recommended to try out all of the major brands if possible.

5. tim

tim Member

Ive heard the old sovereign (sp) with the blue molded case are some of the nicest and have always hear good things about SA triumphonics but never heard or played one to my knowledge

6. ted

ted Member

Composers are starting to write music for Baritones with 4 valves. So it might be a good idea to get one with a 4th valve. (Although I heard that intonation suffers because of it)

Ted

7. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

If you're on a budget, the International is a close facsimile to the Sov.

8. ted

ted Member

With euphoniums, the Internationals just aren't worth the money. Intonation is terrible, sound is terrible, when you're playing you just wish that you're playing a Sovereign.

Don't jump in and get a 2nd grade instrument. If you are on a budget, then save up for longer and get a professional class instrument. Unlike cornets and trumpets (Let's face it, cornet/trumpets players change their instruments more often than they change their underwear) "Intermediate" low brass instruments aren't suitable for individuals. They're more for school bands and 2nd bands where a large amount of instruments have to be purchased. Buy your baritone thinking that you're never going to buy another one again (that way you won't settle for anything less than the best baritone ever).

Ted

9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I have heard that too, but I don't necessarily agree with it.

I play a four valve Yamaha, which I would like to think that I play in tune, as I would like tothink that I have learned the pitched tendencies.

But as a physics teacher (which I am) how can a four valve instrument play more out of tune. If you don't use the fourth valve it should be the same, then if you do use the fourth valve it should be more in tune on those low note, otherwise they wouldn't make a fourth valve.

PJH

10. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

I recommend a Besson Sovereign. Have played on a Courtois (briefly) as well but it wasn't for me. If you're looking to buy one, try and get one about 7/8 years old, the brand new ones aren't as good as the ones that are a wee bit older, but that's another debate!

11. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Having tried most of the "name" brands, imho its a straight choice between the Sov and Yamaha, and the major difference for me was sound: fat horn (sov) or weedy eupho (yam). I'd go for a sovereign every time - I found intonation/tuning is the best (or the least bad anyway!) and it gives the warmest sound across the dynamic range. I'm normally a Yamaha fan (play a Maestro horn) but I hate their baritones - they feel thin and tinny euphos to me, and they are easier to razz when you go loud.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Baritone
    Ian
    new Baritone
    process
    info
  13. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Actually, being as I had to return my baritone to my old band before my last uni band practise, I had to scavenge a baritone from the department to use. It turned out I found one of those instruments in their store room. A bit battered and with a few seized-up slides and noisy valves. But once it got going there was a very nice sound to it. Shame it had been left to fall into the state it's in now! :(

14. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Why you need a baritone when you could just upgrade to god's instrument (thats a euph if anyone is wondering).

Sovs are the best middle and lower end instruments you can get, proper brass band instrument!

15. NeilW

NeilW Member

(I know you've never seen me play a bari, Ian, but I have from time to time :) )

I'm assuming its for you, not MTB...

Of the "less well known" types, you could go and see what Rosehill are shipping nowadays.

I played one of their instruments branded "Flumms" from Switzerland (I think it double M) for a couple of years and it was a lovely instrument -very full tone and quite big bore. I believe the later ones were produced with a Rosehill branding...

Because if you play a baritone part in a contest, you get told "Baritone sounds like a Euphonium" in the adjudicator's comments - been there, done that a long time ago :oops:

Neil.[/quote]

16. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I have heard sopme nice comments about the Kanstul baritone. Dunno which one..... :roll:

17. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Thanks for all the advise so far, much appreciated.

Neil - ''In a contest if you play baritone you get told you sound like a Euphonium'' ........I have contested for 20+ mate and us baritones never get a mention at all, no matter how well :D or how badly :cry: we play !!!!!!

Ian

18. Stewart

Stewart Member

I've only ever had one comment in any of the contests which was "too much baritone" at last year's (I think) areas :eek: Which I refuse to believe is possible!

As for what to buy, I'd go for the sov if you can get one, after taking advice this time last year I got myself a new one but it was a struggle finding anywhere that didn't want me to wait nine months to supply it!

19. David Pegram

David Pegram Member

Can't you borrow one it saves money.

20. b + s - german brand - good stuff - very british - very phattt

21. louise0502

louise0502 Member

I currently use a yamaha 4 valve and i find tuning hard, but possible. I use lots of different valve combinations and this really helps. e.g. 4th valve on top G. Other than that, the sound is really nice if you get the right player on it! and i find it depends on the mouthpiece. i have a huge mouthpiece, which gives a really nice sound, but no high notes. So i'm currently compromising on a bach 7C, which is fine.

And, having played a euphonium most of my life, i just cannot get my fingers around using 1 and 3 for bottom d. My fingers just won't do it!