Buy as you view sell out.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JonP, Aug 1, 2004.

1. JonP

JonP Member

How Ironic that just as BAYVband take the plunge and drop Cory from their name, the actual company providing the sponsership is sold to a multi national.

I hope the directors (or x directors) have stipulated that the band sponsorship has to stay, I cant imagine a yuppiee
    sat behind a desk in london will want to sponser
    a brass band when he could spend the money
    on formula 1, a football team, a golfer, the royal opera or his annual bonus!!!!
    (of course he should spend it on a band in my humble opinion!!!)

I wish Cory all the best and hope that they have it sorted. Im sure they have but if not,???????????????????
    ????????????????????????????????????? :( :(

Perhaps the ex directors will continuue to sponser the
    band personally with the interest from their pay offs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

or maybe, just maybe, BAYV signed a contract with the band, tying them into a sponsorship deal for a specified number of years... :roll:
  3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I wouldn't want to start a conspiracy theory, but...

One wonders why Cory dropped the word Cory just as this was about to happen? Did BAYV know they were being bought out? Did whoever signed the contract and determined the name change know this was going to happen?

It must be a plot. Who has bought them out? Not Wal-Mart, surely...
  4. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Here is the link to the news
    tm_objectid=14480939&method=full&siteid=50082&headline=founder-exits-buy-as-you-view-name_page.html I would think that the outgoing co founder would certainly be able to finance the band for a few years from his personal account :wink:
  5. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I am sure Bernard Jones , had pointed out when the sponsership deal was done , that as long as he was chairman of BAYV there will be a band sponsered by the company.
    the speculation is rife at the moment , better not comment on it until there is something official from the band.
  6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I take offence at the title of this thread. Why should a person who has worked hard all their life to build a business be described as "selling out" when they decide to cash in the efforts of all those years of hard work so they can retire with a bit of luxury.

As for the band, I am sure they will survive. Given the timing of the announcement I would like to think that the current board have ensured ongoing sponsorship for the band for a few years in the terms of the sale.
  7. A J Foad

A J Foad Member

Absolutely. Sometimes great opportunites come along in business and one would be a fool not to take them. It does, however cast a lot of question marks over the issue of the band sponsorship. I, for one would hope that the association between band and company goes on for many years, but it is sometimes hard to see what such a large company hopes to acheive by sponsoring a brass band (albeit a very good one)...
  8. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Well done to Bernard Jones...starts up a business with loads of hard work , makes money and puts it back into the community..nowt wrong with that , if now he is close to retirement age , he wants to sell up.good for him.
    Heard a few possible things that might happen to the band , like I said best wait for a statement from the band.
  9. Jordan BTM

Jordan BTM New Member

Buy as you View were not completely sound, I refer to the welsh consumer investigaion TV prog 'The Ferret', and there are far more better ways to donate money in to the community than in the pockets of players!!! :(

there's a small statement on the BAYV Band website, but gives no indication to the further sponsership of the band.

at some point the money will always run out...................
  10. Sonny Barker

Sonny Barker Member

This thread was started with dubious intentions and is turning distinctly nasty.

Jordan - how can a company worth £100 million, turning in profits of over £4 million be unsound?

From their website, it looks as if they were kept in the picture all along and just waited to see how long it took for their fellow Celts to reach for the knife drawer.
  11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

12. A J Foad

A J Foad Member

I think your words are a little harsh Sonny Barker. As both myself and BTMborn said, neither of us would wish to see the financial assistance given to the BAYV band cease. When any band receives a substantial sponsorship it invariably means that the band are able to function without some of the worries that most bands face. This has to be welcomed by all bands. Band sponsorship is a little bit like gold dust and I'm sure most bands would welcome this kind of input from a major company.

My earlier comments were written with genuine interest as to whether a company of such size gains a great deal out of sponsoring a brass band.

I'm not sure how well informed Jordan BTM is of the dealings and affairs of the BAYV company is, or what they do with the money that they give to their band, but it is perhaps a little irresponsible to suggest there is an situation of impending doom surrounding the affair...!
  13. Sonny Barker

Sonny Barker Member

Sorry AJ - the bad spelling and gratuitous use of question marks of the initial post got my dander up.

I'm all better now.