Buy As You View Press release

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by yorkie19, Apr 28, 2005.

1. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

From 4barsrest:

I've got to say that I applaud the move by the Buy As You View Band.

However, where is this all going to end?

Are we going to see a shake-up in how banding is run?

Although the financial support that Besson and others have given to Brass Bands has been invaluable, should they be allowed to dictate policy (along with groups such as Kapitol Productions), or is this just another version of the benign dictatorship?

Any thoughts?

2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think its nice to see Cory..err...BAYV support he EBBA (especially in light of the fact that Wales does not)

I can't imagine exactly how this will pan out. It seems that most sense would dictate that one of the two Euros will win...however, twice as many bands can finish "in the frame" of a european championship if there are two.
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

From an organisational point, what is going to happen? Will BAYV be barred from playing in future Besson European events as a result of their support of EBBA? When/if other bands declare their allegiance to one or the other, what sort of divisions will emerge? What is weird about this case is that it seems the Welsh association did not communicate with it's members to make their decision to support Besson, rather than EBBA. In these times when bands and their governing bodies should be sticking together to shape the future of banding, all I can see is troubled times ahead! :frown:
  4. Mark Bousie

Mark Bousie Member

Good for Cory. Its refreshing to see some quick, strong and positive decisions being made. It's shame we can't say the same for a lot of people/organisations doing the same. This whole situation is a mess and could have dangerous implications for the whole brass band movement. Lets hope it gets sorted (I'm not holding my breath though!).
  5. alexandria

alexandria Member

I am so glad that Buy as you View has decided to back up the European Assocation. I mean this is the contest that will all know to be the Europeans. This Besson contest will be a joke in comparison. Who will be the European Champion Brass Band - if there are two contests running? How will the Besson select their bands? area results or invite those who haven't got into the EBBA contest?
  6. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I hope that when the Besson European venture is launched in all it's glory, the bands that are invited refuse to attend and show some loyalty to Marcus Bach and the EBBA. If the bands stand firm and refuse to attend then the Besson venture will fail.

Sadly, I can see this whole scenario getting worse before it gets better, and only with a united front can we influence the outcome.

I can only hope that the Besson dream comes to nothing.

7. postie

postie Member

I heartly agree with all previous comments, I have thought for a while that Besson are heading for a fall. Their Version of the European Championships I am afraid could be a complete farce. Reading the Bandsman it would be appear that most of the other assocations would rather stick with the EBBA. All of this mess needs sorting out once and for all.
  8. Suz

Suz Member

Any other Welsh banders out there who had no idea this was coming?

Were any bands actually consulted before this decision was made?

BTM Band
  9. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

I would love to know the reasoning behind the Welsh committee backing Besson, especially when it flies in the face of every other decision making power.

Seems like a really dumb move on their part!
  10. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

maybe it's just me being cynical but maybe they've been promised a future championships, which would bring in some cash for them....
  11. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

That would seem logical, but it looks as though they've been ignoring the wishes of their members at the same time, which is suicidal when it comes to decisions of this magnitude
  12. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Why else would they choose sides at all? Aren't there enough bands in Wales to have a representative at each contest? Is there going to be some rule in place (for either Euro) that prevents a band from competing in both (notwithstanding that it might be difficult or impossible for a band to prepare for or travel to both)? Has either Besson or EBBA said that if a regional association sends a band to one it can't send a band to the other?

How about this: the top two bands qualify to go to the Euros. The winner gets to choose which one of the Euros they'll do, and number 2 gets the other (if they want it). This lets the bands decide which is more important.
  13. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

Get on BAYV!
    Glad to see a top band sticking their head above the parapet and backing the Democratic EBBA.
    Besson!.......I`ve had enough of you running banding by "diktat", get out of bed with Kapitol and the Salvo`s and give banding back to real bandspeople.

14. stopher

stopher Member

Don't think so but it was probably done at the Welsh Regional Council meeting so will then get sent to the 3 Welsh associations and then sent to the bands in about July!

Wouldn#t be surprised if the Welsh Regional Council didn;t know. Could be wrong but I'm sure that a member of the Welsh Regional Council is/was involved with Kapitol promotions - not that I think that would have anything to do with the decision of course
  15. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

So 'Salvos' are not real bandspeople? This thread is about BAYV bands stance with EBBA and Besson. You continually look to bash the SA, even when nobody is talking about them......such a shame that a well-meaning site like TMp that should be used for healthy, constructive ideas gives some the platform to display bitter and unsubstatiated views.

Nothing personal kirmat as I do not know you - perhaps you will extend the same courtesy to all the SA people you continually mislabel.

Anyway, back on topic.....I am not sure what Besson intend to achieve by staging a 'rival' event and do think it will be to the detriment banding. At the same time, noone can be sure of what was said by both EBBA and Besson closed doors so would not want to the throw the book at either of them. There is merit in BAYV taking a firm stand and 'sticking to their guns', whether you agree with them or not. Cannot imagine Dr Childs would have done it on a whim...
  16. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

The days when the S.A were a kindly and largely a benign influence on mainstream banding have gone, the Army have decided in their wisdom that my sphere of banding is an area in need of their "musical outreach programme"....the S.A. by their own actions have put themselves in the firing line...sorry!

I have nothing personally against any individual "Salvo" on this forum, ironically many Salvationists agree that the S.A. `s venture into outside banding is wrong!

I hope tMP will continue to allow views on any subject to be discussed as long as they are sincerely held, respectful and restrained.

17. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

I'm sorry kirmat but I don't consider your initial quote to be respectful or restrained.
  18. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I think it's been pointed out more than enough times that the link you keep making between Kapitol and the SA is unfounded... Can we please get back to the issue of the competition??
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I think it will be interesting to see which competition the rest of the qualifiers from the UK will support.
  20. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Yes, but not in a topic that is supposed to be about something else, in this case the BAYV press release regarding the EBBC.

What I'm confused about right now, if the Welsh band association is no longer a member of the EBBA, will the welsh bands technically be allowed to enter the EBBA contest? I think for the moment, each member association of EBBA gets to represent one band at the EBBA contest (+ last year's winner)

update: I did some research on the EBBA website:

So technically, it's possible for BAYV to take part in next year's EBBA contest without Wales being a member of the EBBA (becoming 2nd or 3rd this year would help also).

Or the EBBA could change the rules of course... (they may need to scrap section c) I )