Buy As You View no more!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Deano, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Deano

Deano Member

Looks like another of our top bands have lost their sponsorship, the band will revert back to their old name "The Cory Band" from the 31st March following a mutual decision to end the sponsorship.

2. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I have just read the article twice and cannot see where it says the sponsorship is over. It seems they have agreed to go back to their original name.

Cory is a lot less of a mouthful than Buy As You View!
  3. Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas Member

The press release only relates to a change of name. It will be business as usual in all other ways.

4. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Thanks for the confirmation Chris.
  5. Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas Member

No problem!!:tup
  6. Deano

Deano Member

Sorry Chris if I caused any confusion, did mean too, it just seemed strange that you were reverting back to "Cory" when you seemed to have a very good sponsorship deal, if it's still business as usual then that's great because we need Welsh band that are capable of competing at the very top.
  7. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

How does that work then?? If the "Buy as you view" name is being dropped what do the sponsors get out of the sponsorship deal?

That's more like a private funding than a sponsorship deal surely?
  8. timbloke

timbloke Member

Not necessarily. There are a number of sponsored bands who don't include their name in the band name, some who don't even advertise it much. 4br reported yesterday that Ben Bailey homes is continuing to sponsor Carlton Main, Old Silkstone are also sponsored (Beresford's Solicitors) but don't include the sponsors name in the band name. I guess it depends on how the band and sponsor want to organise the sponsorship. Like in Rugby Union, you get the "Earth Titans" (Rotherham sponsored by Earth Finacial Services) and the Pertemps Bees (Birmingham & Solihull), but not the "Autoglass Blues" (Bedford) or the "McAfee Sharks" (Sale).
  9. zak

zak Member

I quite agree but bands such as Carlton Main Frickley NEVER incorporated the sponsors name right from the sponsorship start whereas Buy as You View did, so it begs the question if the sponsorship still continues why the change now????
  10. SuperHorn

SuperHorn Member

If I remember correctly BAYV were taken over by a company 3M and the sponsorship will end with BAYV as the new entity.

However, the original owner of Just Rentals and which then changed to BAYV has put money into a trust fund for them so there is no loss of revenue.

Or Did I dream this????

Long live 'The Cory Band'
  11. jamieow

jamieow Member

I agree about the welsh bands bit.
    Wouldn't it have saved confusion etc if people didn't guess/interpret postings on websites in order to post other people's info for them and rather wait until either (a) said group/person posts it on here in full, then give your opinion (b) check before posting that they are posting the facts correctly?
    After all, it is BAYV's (or Cory's) info.
    Yes, the info is of interest, but needs to be accurate.
  12. dyl

dyl Active Member

To be fair here, once the information is in the public domain eg. posted on a band's official website, then it's open to discussion as far as I'm concerned. If that particular information is either written badly or ambiguously (and this is not a criticism of the Press Release currently under discussion as I haven't read it properly yet) then people are bound to make assumptions. It is up to the people providing the information in the first place to make sure it is giving the full facts in order to prevent rumours and/or wrong assumptions being made.
  13. jamieow

jamieow Member

Agreed, hence my post!
    I was mereley stating (or trying to) that assumptions from people not concerned always inevitably paint an inaccurate picture, and from reading the 'statement' on BAYV's site, the situation really doesn't seem 'all that bad' and isn't really that much of a big deal!!
    If it was then BAYV may well have put something up here!! Looks to me like BAYV are saying "this has happened, let's move on".
    I could just forsee a situation where we'd end up having a similar situation to the YBS one a month or so back where people made up their own minds and started saying things like "it's the end of YBS" without knowing all the facts!!!
    After all, it's their info!!! Yes, it's in the public domain, but let's get the facts right or wait till someone who can or will does so!!
    Opinions and interpretations vs facts.
    Maybe would have been easier if the BAYV statement was copied into here in the first place????;)
  14. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Or follow the link in the original post? :wink:
  15. jamieow

jamieow Member

yes.Or follow the link....
  16. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

In my mind when a band is sponsered it's best that the original band name is kept and with the sponsor's name as a suffix:

Generic (sponser) Band - or something like that.

Then we don't get confused when some bands get new sponsorship (I was muchos confused for a while by the appearance of the "Polysteel" Band! :)) yet the sponser is shown clearly enough so we know who is supporting the band.

However, I suppose that some businesses (and bands) like to do it differently, and I can't deny it isn't nice to see the Cory name return.
  17. The 'Cory' name carry's alot with it, just like 'Black Dyke'. I know with sponsership things have to change but taking 'Cory' out of the name in the first place took away alot with it in my opinion. Everyone must be glad to see it back!
  18. dyl

dyl Active Member

Interesting to read the following in the latest newsletter from World of Brass:

19. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

I believe the band's ORIGINAL name was Cory Workmen....just splitting hairs;) ...didn't the name change to The Cory Band in the 70s?
  20. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

Just to split your Hairs :)....were`nt they originally called Cory Bros.