Buxton Entertainments Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by bumperman, Sep 11, 2006.

1. bumperman

bumperman Member

Who's going this year?
  2. missterious

missterious New Member

3. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I know Vernon Building Society Poynton are going because I'm thinking of going along and supporting/drinking! Although, saying that, there is a big day of football for it to compete with!! so we'll see!
  4. we (stannington) will be there, as wil south yorks police, methinks, looks like a pretty good lineup of bands, should be a good day :)
  5. vonny

vonny Member

Myself and Keely will be there playing with Besse's Boys. It will be my first contest playing baritone, but I'm really looking forward to it.
  6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

well i will be going to listen to and hopefully have a chat with Vonny
  7. postie

postie Member

Pity you are not coming to Wychavon Mate good to see you for a chat
  8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

1 Vernon Building Society 189
    2United Co-Op 184
    3Middleton 182
  9. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Right now ive put results up my thoughts on the contest itself;
    A very enjoyable day hearing all the bands as EVER some fine playing and good entertainment from all bands playing as well.
    2 very nice performances from Middleton &Besses Boys Band pity more lower section bands did not go to show what they had to offer.
    Vernon Poynton were outstanding and as special mention to their Baritone Player who played Carnival Of Venice what a player well done who ever you are its was great to see a fellow baritone player get up and play a solo well done it was a class act.
    Middleton Band what a show for 3rd section i was well impressed by them and a fantastic result for them by beating 2nd and 1st section bands.
    Plus i managed to meet up with Vonny as well for a chat:biggrin:
  10. IJK

IJK Member

Great day and well done to all! nice to see lower section bands beating the higher sections.

Good to see the old Coop back in the prizes after a difficult week and year. And I see a new era ahead for them.

Thanks guys and girls for some great moments

(I will get back in my box now!)

11. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

The Baritone player was Andy Lawton, son of the legend Alan Lawton. I unfortunately missed their performance - had to leave at 3pm but I will pass on your kind comments to Andy when I see him. He is a very modest guy and probably won't believe me when I tell him what you said.
  12. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Well done to Co-op and their soloist Carolyn Ramsbottom. You deservered the prize! Good Luck in France, you will be missed!

I really enjoyed myself today and was well looked after by the band. It has been a really difficult week for the band (and day) as we have had so many problems, but you hvae a great future ahead.

Things can only get better!!
  13. vonny

vonny Member

I had a brilliant time at the Buxton entertainments contest. Well done to all the bands who took part!
    An extra special 'well done' to Besses Boys who came 5th, and also gained the highest mark overall for entertainment!
  14. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

Twos a good day, winning by 6 points made it better!

Didnt hear any other bands, except for Middleton from backstage (who sounded very good). well done to Besses boys and Mr Holt.

Cheers for the comments on Andy's solo, he is a legend.
  15. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

i cant count, it was five points
  16. Mofman

Mofman Member

Amazingly he can play that solo WITHOUT MUSIC too!!

Andy Lawton is a very talented player indeed, and is well respected in the band. He is such a modest fella too.

I heard Middleton from back stage, and they sounded really good for a 3rd Section Band. Well Done on your result.
  17. leisa

leisa Active Member

Ditto. Well done Carolyn u played ace and well done to Co-op!! I Had a great day x
  18. agentorange

agentorange Member

What a great day!

Many thanks to Wakey Met band for asking me to help out. i had a great time! Congratulations especially to Russell, you've got the band performing well again.

Well done to all the bands, espcially those who beat Wakey, you must have really performed well!

And congratulations to Carolyn on the soloists prize. Unfortunately, i missed it (an appointment with Mr Carlsberg!) but i'm told it was a special performance. Best of luck in France.
  19. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Great day all round. Congratulations to the winners. To get 98 points on music out of mr Horsfield, that must've been something special to listen to!

Once again, had a fantastic time at buxton. It's the second time we've won 2nd there in recent years, so maybe one day we'll go all the way! But the main thing was it was a fantastic day out with some great performances, and a good time was had by all.

And I've got to say well done to Carolyn "Daughter of Sanchez" ramsbottom for a blinding performance on her last outing with the band for the forseeable future. That cup is well deserved. (Even if you did leave it in Ian's car last night!)

Well done to everyone taking part. Hope you all had as much fun (and as much ale) as we did!
  20. postie

postie Member

Full results thanks to 4bars rest:
    1. Poynton Band
    98 (music)/ 91 (ent) = 189pts
    2. United Co-op Yorks.
    94 (music)/ 90 (ent) = 184pts
    3. Middleton
    92 (music)/ 90 (ent) = 182pts
    4. Wakefield Metropolitan
    90 (music)/ 89 (ent) = 179pts
    5. Besses Boys
    85 (music)/ 93 (ent) = 178pts
    6. Stannington
    88 (music)/ 88 (ent) = 176pts

Best percussion section: Poynton
    Best Soloist: Carolyn Ramsbottom, flugel (United Co-op Yorkshire)