Buxton Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Brian, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Brian

Brian Member

Any one have the results ?
  2. Baldeagle

Baldeagle Member

1 United Co-op Milnrow
    2 United Co-op Yorkshire
    3 Wakefield Met
    4 Easington (?)
    5 Blidworth (?)
    6 Carlton Brass
    7 Ibstock Brass
    The above from 4 down may not be 100%

Soloist to Ibstock Brick
    Percussion to Yorksire Co-oP
  3. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

Buxton Contest,2004------------

AIN'T IT FUNNY........ Buxton 33rd Annual Brass Band Entertainment Contest run by United Co-op Central Member Relations Committee should happen to have two Co-op bands being placed first and second .................
  4. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

A very interesting point there Keith!!! I presume it was open adjudication today.

Parhaps the participating bands would comment on the overall performances today?
  5. Heather

Heather Member

Maybe they were the best 2 Bands on the day.
  6. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

What did everyone play?

7. Keith Stanley James Lever

Didn't hear all the seven bands, David, but with the exception with Blidworth the ones I did hear they blew the roof off the Pavillion Gardens............. O Raspberry it was open adjudication.........
  8. brass journo

brass journo Member

I wondered how long it would be before someone commented on Co-op run contests and Co-op bands coming 1st and 2nd!!

As it happens, apparently both bands deserved the positions and I know we are more than happy with our performance.

For those that are interested we playerd:
    Fanfare from Carmina Burana
    In Heaven (flugel solo)
    Sing Sing Sing (along with about 3 other bands!)
    Fugue from Graduation Day (Philip Sparke)

The soloist from Ibstock deservedly got the soloist prize, especially as there was still music being piped through the tannoy during his performance!

All in all, a good day out - there certainly was no fix, I can assure you. just some excellent playing from all 7 bands, but as Chris Wormald said, the top two bands stood out from the rest.

well done everyone who played!
  9. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Were there only 7 bands competing ?
  10. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

Well done to my old band Co-op Milnrow!! am well chuffed for them... bit of sour grapes comin from those who have assumed it was fixed, cos 2 Co-op bands did well?? I think so...
  11. Baldeagle

Baldeagle Member

We had no problems at all with the top two results.
  12. rutty

rutty Active Member

No funnier than Welsh bands winning at Pontins ;)

Seriously, I didn't hear the winners (they played before us) but I heard Yorkshire Co-op and thought that they were superb. From what others have said I can only confirm that the two co-op bands were the best on the day.

It was a good contest, although I no longer want to hear Sing Sing Sing again. Ever. :)
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

14. Keith Stanley James Lever

I went to Buxton contest with an open mind, non of the bands I am associated with were involved in the contest, so there is no 'sour grapes' in the result, I did not say it was 'fixed', nor did I say that the first two bands didn't deserve their result..........
  15. Heather

Heather Member

No, you didn't actually use those words but I think if you read back what you wrote you will agree the insinuation was there!
  16. Bones

Bones Member

Maybe you didn't, so why post a comment that is loaded with innuendo that some form of subversive actions potentially exisited leading to results being given to two CooP bands.

I can only think that this is some form of "impish" fun that only denegrates from the well deserved (according to previous posts on this subject) placings afforded to the CooP bands.

For what it is worth, I don't know anyone in the 1st placed band, and have enjoyed more than a few sociable beers with some guys from Yorshire CooP. But I didn't go to Buxton, so I have no opinion as to how well they played. All I know is far more educated people than myself judged them to be the best bands, and there it is.

Grrr snarl Grrr
  17. JR

JR Member

Many thanks - very kind of you to say so
    I agree on sing sing sing but what are percussion going to do next year whilst we flog Rienzi to death?!!

john r
    conductor united co-op yorks
  18. cherrybassett

cherrybassett Member

We played

Nellie the elephant Eb Bass solo also comedy item
    Sing Sing Sing (with extras)
    Auld Lang Syne/Last Post
    Capriccio Espagnol

We came 5th and were quite happy with our result. At the end of the day we are 2nd section and the bands above us were 1st section. Our adjudicators remarks are very complimentary and it would be interesting to read all the other bands remarks. At any contest with remarks we got we would have won. We have no sour grapes and I personally think that all the bands were just to close.

My only critiscm is that in our deportment it says that we have a "flat appearance" does anybody know what would be meant by that.

Great day, great contest

We didnt come home with a prize but did come home with extra percussion if anyone has lost anything.

And we will definitely be there next year.