Butlins mineworkers Contest grumble

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevie, Jan 9, 2004.

1. stevie

stevie New Member

Can I start by saying what a brilliant event the Skeggy weekend was - Congratulations to Stan Lippeat and gang!!!
    My only complaint was why o why was the 5th place CHAMPIONSHIP section band given prize money so that, and I quote " nobody leaves Butlins empty handed".
    If there were only five bands in the 4th section would the same offering have been made ???
    Apart from that - superb!!! and my band came 3rd in the 1st section so its not just sour grapes!

Any views???

2. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Have to agree it was a brill weekend (well what i can remeber of it).
    I think the idea of giving the 5th place Championship section band some prize money was a way of saying thanks to actually coming to the contest and giving it a go, or prehaps just to show the other champ bands that dropped out what a good weekend they missed out on (and now probably wished they hadn't).

I also think it's a classic way to end the weekend at a holiday camp "nobody leaves empty handed"

I doubt that the situation would have been the same if it had happened in the fourth section. The way I see it is that Butlins made this gesture to probably help attract more championship bands for the next contest.

Think it was only a good-will gesture and a way of showing all the other bands who dropped out what a good weekend they missed out on.

3. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

have to say although i wasn't part of the contest i think it is wrong to make that sort of gesture!

just because a band is championship level doesn't make them any more deserving of money, and surely at that level bands shouldn't have to be pandered to!

and so what if there were only five bands! thats the way of contesting!

i think such actions should apply in ALL sections, if such a situation were to arise, or not at all.

Carolyn

4. Bones

Bones Member

Given that the Band that received the "5th" place award is an unsponsored Top Section Band, which face the same hardships faced by any other unsponsored bands irrespective of section, I have no doubt that they would have been grateful to receive something.

Just because a Band is in a higher section doesn't automatically mean they are financially better placed. Let's also not forget the Top section bands had to work on 2 days as well.

As for the gesture from Butlins. I'll go back to my original arguments in earlier threads. They are a Profit making organisation, what they do with their own money is up to them, it is not for us to determine how it gets spent.

Instead of knocking Butlins for every gesture they do, lets start congratulating them for the work they have done. Long may this contest continue, and if one year they want to pay the winning band in Armenian Sheckels, well go ahead, I don't care. The reason why? I'll have enjoyed myself irrespective of money or a promise of money. If my Band went to every contest expecting to come away with a big fat cheque we'd be well disappointed. So when we do (Albeit not very often), it's a nice icing on the cake.

My opinions only Guys.

5. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Not going to quote your message Bones, cos it's that long, but *applause*! Well said!

6. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Harsh words Carolyn if you don't mind me saying. I don't at all think it was a case of because it's a championship section band they don't deserve a gesture of good-will, I'm sure that they were very appreciative. I'm sure that all-though not every band came away with prize money, they came away with some greater prizes by just attending the weekend and taking part.

I feel it is more of a case that you had to be there for the weekend to understand, and i hope you get that chance in 2005!

Have to agree with Bones, the Butlins gesture was great and it is up to them on how they spend thier money. Don't think Butlins inteneded to upset other bands just because they decided to give out some extra prize money!

Congrats on the great weekend Butlins :D

7. I agree with Becks and Bones, and that isn't just because I'm in the same band.

The weekend was great and hopefully lots more bands will enter the next one.

Next time Becky, we may get out of Skegness on the right road!

8. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

yeah nice one Rich! :wink:

9. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Well I blame the driver :wink:

At least we got to look at new and exciting parts of the country (even if we did feel worse for wear)!

bring on 2005!!

10. stewie76

stewie76 Member

Thats all well and good but my band Snibston & Desford who won the 2nd section, are still waiting for their £750 First prize money!!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Butlins
    mineworkers
    Contest
    event
    CHAMPIONSHIP section band
  12. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

i think there is some word twisting goin on here!
    firstly, i didnt say that a band SHOULDNT recieve money just cos its championship, and i didnt say that all champ bands have lots of money!and i didnt say the band in question WEREN'T grateful either!

fair point about it being butlins money to do with what they choose-i agree

and i wasn't there but from beckys stories, it sounded like a great weekend for banders and well done to the contest organisers for this!!

Carolyn

13. Hornted

Hornted Member

Butlins Handout

Ok a reply from the Band who did come 5th in the championship section at Butlins.

Firstly we did not ask for financial help but it was good to go home with something. The week end had involved loads of work - far more than for a usual contest. A challenging test piece and then an entertainments program all in one week end. Which I suppose did ensure we stayed for the whole week end, we did not have the option of travelling down for one day.

The original entry for the contest was 10 or 11 I think and for that to be reduced to 5 was a real shame. Anyway Butlins made the jesture just to thank the championship bands who had stuck with the format. The week end would not have been the same without the contest on the Sunday which would not have gone ahead if many more bands had withdrawn.

If the format is to continue in the same way next year then it is obviously important that the bands in the championshipship section continue to attend.

I thank Butlins on behalf of the band for the cheque and as already mentioned just because we are a succesful championship section band does not mean we have loads of cash - we are not sponsored and raised the funds to attend the contest by taking part in two Remembrance Sunday Parades.

14. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Re: Butlins Handout

Well said. Just because bands pulled out didn't mean the prize money shouldn't be given to the bands who made an effort to go, sponsored or not.