Butlins Day Passes

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by fretty, Jan 3, 2011.

1. fretty

fretty Member

Hi all. Unfortunately I wont be partaking in this years booze-fest (well not for the full weekend anyway) and I am reduced to having to pay £14 to the skegness protection racket, aka Butlins, to be able to play on the day lol. Makes one wonder what band entry fees are for.

It is almost like paying for a ticket to a concert then finding out you have to pay at the door too, to actually gain entry to the room where the concert is.

Anyway, rant over. I hear day passes have to be ordered in advance now. Is this correct? If so where do I get them from?
  2. astreet83

astreet83 Member

Is that £14 per car or per person?
  3. sbandsman

sbandsman Member

per person!
  4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We get this every year.....:roll:

You're paying for admission onto the site, and the opportunity to use the facilities they provide. Whether you use them or not is up to you.

I don't understand why so many people in brass bands think that companies like Butlins owe them something. At the end of the day they are only staging the contest for one reason - to make money. If you don't like it then don't go.

(for further comments please refer to my posts from 2008, 2009, 2010....)
  5. astreet83

astreet83 Member

Beat me too it Wooden Flugel.

Good points and made clear
  6. fretty

fretty Member

I have been every year since it began, always stayed the weekend and have thoroughly enjoyed it every time. But what about those that dont want to use the facilities? I am not there to perform and be paid, I am there to play with my band because they are entering the contest (and consequently pay to enter the contest anyway). Some people go because it is a moral obligation to go, you can't let your band down.

This year I am only going for one reason, to play with my band. Why should I have to pay to actually enter the place and play. Im sure everyone would be shocked if say bands turned up and st georges to be told "yeah your band is entered for the contest but everyone in every band has to pay £14 to actually have the privilege to enter the hall and play". Also I think it would shock people if you had say bought a ticket to go watch a concert and on the door were charged again to actually enter the place. It is extortionate. I understand they have a place to run and dont give a monkeys as long as the money is there but surely they get a big enough cut from all of the other fees etc.

I do not think butlins owes me anything.

But I am not posting here to query all of your opinions. I am posting here to ask a simple question, do I need to order the pass in advance? If you do not know the answer then it is no contribution to the thread to just pick faults with things that werent asked about. At no point in my original message did I ask whether it was fair to charge or whether it should change or anything like that.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  7. astreet83

astreet83 Member

I would say £14 for a full days safe car parking is worth the money.
  8. fretty

fretty Member

But it is not for the car parking, that is irrelevant. If you parked anywhere else you would still have to pay the £14 anyway. Also it doesnt let you "use the facilities" much, you still have to pay for nearly everything anyway (whether staying or not staying).

Ok so you all disagree with everything else I said, but like I said I am not on here to complain about this and create yet another controversial tmp battle. I was just here to ask the question.

Will I have to order the pass in advance?
  9. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

Why not ring Butlins and get the info straight from the horses mouth instead of cluttering up an internet forum with garbage.
  10. astreet83

astreet83 Member

Excellent point Danny...hence the reason I didn't reply. :clap:
  11. fretty

fretty Member

Errrrm...let me think...maybe because other people might want to know? Also maybe I thought that posting a free message on a forum full of banding people, some of which have had to buy passes pefore, would know and that within a few mins I might have got a straight answer by the first reply.

I was against posting on tmp in the first place to ask since an extraordinary amount of conversations on here turn into wars.

I asked a simple question. Fair enough the things I said with it might not match your opinions but at the end of the day, did I ask for your opinions on the matter?

No I didn't. Some people on here just love to shoot down people with different opinions.

I am sorry that we cant just remove all posts on tmp that dont match your own views (aka the "garbage") and make a forum that is just full of what you think about the world.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Maybe not, but by adding your opinions and in particular in the way you stated them, you invited a counter opinion from someone else. tMP is after all, a discussion forum....

I have resisted the temptation to put my own thoughts here until now, but the way you have posted here reads like you want to have a moan about the Day Pass price, and you added the question about needing to get them in advance as a way to justify that moan. I may be wrong there, but if you look back into your posts in this thread and look at the amount of each post that talks about the Day Pass price compared with what is supposedly the main inquiry, you have to concede I have a damn good point. Why go on the rant? Why not just ask if you needed to buy them in advance if that's all you wanted to know?

What frustrates me above all else is this (and this is a general comment not aimed specifically at fretty): Butlin's is one of Brass Banding's few (if only) success stories of the last few years. Yet we still feel we need to bitch and moan about the contest as if they owe us something. Well they don't, and they can just as easily pull the plug on the whole thing, and then whose fault will it be?

Lastly - and this really is my last comment on this, I know for a fact that the powers that be at Butlin's do read tMP, and they do see what is said here about their contest. While I'm sure they welcome constructive feedback, you have to wonder if they really need to put forward the prize money, and go through the hassle of staging the contests, when they could more easily fill the camp by holding an 80's themed weekend.
  13. fretty

fretty Member

I must say I love the butlins contest, I have always enjoyed it. I have never minded paying to stay there for the weekend, just to me £14 per person seems a little steep. Maybe £14 per car is a better idea.

Some of the things I put in my original post were not meant to be rants but humour, it might not have appeared to others that way so I apologise for this.

I would say though that in my defence, nothing I posted on here was "garbage" and it appears narrow minded to dismiss posts as garbage just because they are arguing a different point. At no point did I do the same because the others had a different view.
  14. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

is it?? I think its good value for the day as mentioned before you are paying for there leisure facilities as well. Whether you choose to use them is up to you. How much would you pay for the day to go to Alton Towers for example. If it isn't your thing, go to another contest instead!
  15. fretty

fretty Member

In the present climate, yes £14 is quite steep.

What facilities are included with a day pass? I don't know because I have always stayed over the weekend.

To me it seems like the only major facility you might get for free (when you pay for entry) is the swimming pool.
  16. fretty

fretty Member

Think about people that have to take families. £14 per person soon turns into £56 for a family of 4, just to gain entry and as I say i'm not convinced there are many free facilities that you get for that £14.
  17. StellaJohnson

Thats what you get for your £14 each. My opinion it isn't that bad.
    But of course, we want Butlins to provide the hall, good contest prize money, staff to work in the facilities, entertainment etc, parking spaces, nice surroundings for naff all.
  18. fretty

fretty Member

But alot of that isnt included in the day pass charge, most of that you have to pay for once you get inside.

I'm just wondering what the £14 actually gets you. Btw it says the usual price around these times is £7 per person or less, is my figure of £14 wrong?
  19. StellaJohnson

I don't know if your £14 is wrong but organising a contest at venues like Butlins with the prize money on offer cost money and Butlins are in it to make money like every other business
  20. fretty

fretty Member

That is fair enough, I have no quarrels paying the money, just wondered why it is so much and what it actually gets you.

I shall check up on the amount.