Butlins Contest 2017

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by JHughes92, Dec 11, 2016.

1. JHughes92

JHughes92 New Member

Is there a list of bands for Butlins yet?

2. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

Not that I've seen. To be fair its probably a bit early yet, last couple of years the list hasn't come out until the new year.

We had some erratas issued for our testpiece so I have seen a list of email addresses for our section (3) - some of which are obvious, some of which are not

3. Tim skelper

Tim skelper New Member

No official list but so far I believe Flowers, GUS, Desford, Woodfalls, Yorkshire imps, Jaguar landrover and Friary Guildford are all playing.

4. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Not sure Woodfalls are there, from what I've heard. Could be wrong though.

5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Well, today is Happy Friday! Off to see the sea at Skegvegas under water! Should I pack my water wings or my scuba gear? If you see me there, please come introduce yourself. I do, mostly, look like my photo! :-D

mojo likes this.
  6. Slider1

Slider1 Active Member

Rubber Dinghy and a Hot Water bottle would be more appropriate :):):)

If your playing best of luck if your not, best of luck

mikelyons likes this.
  7. Great day yesterday hearing most of 1st section and all of Championship Section
    Looking forward to Entertainment Contest today

mikelyons likes this.
  8. cornishgiant

cornishgiant New Member

So what was the sketch with Skelmersdale Prize Band? I mean, we all hate the first draw but to not show up is a bit unsual

mikelyons likes this.
  9. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

According to them on twitter, they never actually entered. Pure administrative error. Odd one, though! Because Butlins do their draw without bands needing to send a rep it wasn't picked up before the contest started.

Matthew likes this.
  10. cornishgiant

cornishgiant New Member

Brilliant! I knew there was a reason why you usually send a rep to the draw!

Matthew likes this.
  11. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Ahhhhh, if Monty Python did Brass Band Contests........ :D

12. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Have test pieces for 2018 been announced yet? Normally there's information immediately after the contest - own choice all sections for 2018?

13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I seem to remember they said they wanted to evaluate the reaction to this year's contests before they made their decisions.

14. Euphonium Lite

I had quite a long chat with Brian Eggleshaw who is the contest organiser whilst I was at this year’s event. Apparently 1 band (in the top section) hadn’t handed in their copy score until the Friday and therefore he wasn’t particularly keen on going own-choice again personally, but apparently the organising committee were going to meet at some point after the event to decide what they were going to do and pick pieces if they felt that was the way to go. They would then go back to the bands with details for next year.

I assume that meeting either hasn’t happened yet or if it has that the final decision hasn’t been made on pieces.

15. Euphonium Lite

You would have also thought that they would have known whether a band had actually entered. I was told that the programme had included several "administrative errors" and this could well have been one of them - for my own band we were probably the most affected as we suddenly got moved to #1.

I guess one of the issues they'll be looking at is preventing some sort of repeat.

16. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

I understood that the own choice decision for the top and bottom sections was to encourage more bands to enter. The number of entries didn't increase so I do hope they revert to chosen test pieces.

Own choice seems to help no one. It increases the subjectivity which is the single most topic for the contest post mortems, it creates a nightmare for bands and MDs in having to choose a suitable piece, adjudicators are not judging from a level playing field.

Slider1 and midlandman like this.
  17. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Except the bands who can choose a piece to suit their strengths and prep time.....
    I know loads of people who were there to listen this year and appreciated the variety too

18. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

This is true also. I enjoyed listening to the Champ section variety. Part of me did miss the ability to draw direct comparisons between the bands though.

I think Butlins is a good contest to introduce non-contesting bands to contesting; the social side of the weekend and entertainment makes it good for this. Such bands aren't likely to have a repertoire of test pieces to pick from and for them, the lack of contesting experience (perhaps paradoxically) puts them at a disadvantage because it's difficult to be confident enough to choose a suitable piece. A set test-piece takes this worry away.

What's your view on why it didn't attract more bands, which was after all the stated reason for having own choice this year?

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  19. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Can't answer for bands in other sections, but I know that for the top section, having to prepare for 2 different contests so soon after Christmas is a massive ball-ache.... I think you have to really want to do it, and perhaps some bands that don't think they've got a very good chance of bagging the prize money think its not worth the work.
    That said though, the timing of the contest hasn't changed, so who knows?

20. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

Does the same situation apply for sections 1 and 2 who do seem to get a good turnout at Butlins?