Butlins championship section

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by shawneuph, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shawneuph

shawneuph Supporting Member

anyone listen to the bands in the championship section today ? any views on who the leaders are entering the second day for the entertainments part of the contest
  2. laurz_oconnor

laurz_oconnor Member

Just got off the phone with my dad who's there and he said mount charles and flowers were both really good yesterday
  3. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Just got back from Butlins!

Champiomship test piece was brilliant. Finally hearing St Magnus live was amazing. I listened to 9 bands (being sat next to David Read the adjudicator who borrowed my score for the majority of the time...quite a privelidge!)
    Of those i heard, Jag Mount Charles and Ransomes were superb, very musical readings, they gave the music space and the playing was of the highest quality. Redbridge were excellent too. The rest played very well but didnt quite overcome the technicalities, some sounded very frantic and often didnt give the piece enough space. I didnt hear Flowers, Dobcross and someone else.

Today i listened to about 5 of the entertainment slots. Redbridge were very good, they had an outstanding set of soloists all weekend. Ransomes were good, as were Mount Charles, who had a fantastic flugel player. Someone mentioned that Flowers were very good indeed.

Results should be anytime now though!
  4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

After seeing the results on 4BR, the less said the better! Oh well, we did our bit, it's not our fault if the adjudicators got it wrong ;)
  5. Steve

Steve Active Member

Gutted, especially as Saturday was one of the best performances I have had the pleasure to play in. Oh well, Que Sera Sera
  6. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

Don't be sad Steve, I bet you were the best b**ch horn there all weekend! x
  7. SteveT

SteveT Member

Interesting biased view!

As usual blame the adjudicator! Sorry guys your performance was fairly good, but not in the same class as the eventual winners.
  8. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Tongue placed firmly in cheek! Of course all adjudicators get it right all the time. Have you ever heard one say otherwise?
  9. rutty

rutty Active Member

I have to say I'm majorly surprised to see that Mount Charles weren't in the prizes. I had them down as potential winners along with Flowers. I thought their St Magnus was magnificent and their entertaiments program was brilliant. That Flugel solo was outstanding!

Still, what do I know about such things? Well done to all those that took part - the quality all-round was very high and I had a fantastic weekend listening to as many bands as possible. I even stopped boozing for a while :clap:
  10. Steve

Steve Active Member

Just wanted to say a massive well done to Flowers, I heard their entertainments programme and they gave a good show. Well done to the CMFC gang too, cracking result.

I too was suprised by JAG's placing, everyone I spoke to all weekend said they were quality and should feature highly.

Alas, another one consigned to the history books. What a great weekend, one grumble at the organisers but I will air that in the rehearsal room shortly :D
  11. Jamie

Jamie Member

Hello chaps,
    been away a while frantically not writing a dissertation, but took the time out to take a day trip to Skeggy from Notts to keep my ear in... didnt hear the test piece so can't comment on that (although from eavesdropping I had slightly higher hopes for Mount Charles) but I saw a good part of the entertainment. Having missed Cornwall Youth debut Philip Harper's piece (Across/ over/ something similar The Tamar- sorry useless for names) I was interested to hear Polysteel (always gonna be flowers to me) play a section of it, and I can honestly say it stirred my interest in the rest of the piece. Again though, and apparently inkeeping with a few others, slightly surprised by Mount Charles' result. Of course I'm biased, I think they should win every contest all the time... even the ones they don't enter, but for a change, I'm not alone in thinking so (well perhaps not the latter part!). Still, that's not to detract from those in the prizes, or to criticise the adjudicator... just an observation.

And next year, when this *beeping* degree is over, I might actually get to go to the contest properly...!
  12. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I listened to quite a few bands in the championship section and really enjoyed it! (i usually have the attention span of a gold fish when it comes to listening to test pieces, but i really liked st magnes :) )

the enterainment section was really good, didnt get to listen to everyone and gutted that i missed flowers. I did actually really enjoy mount charles performance, flugel- lush! and have to give a big cheer to the percussion section! (purely through fear of ginge throwing stuff at us again!) The band played really well!
  13. dyl

dyl Active Member

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.