Butlins 2009

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Inspector Gadget, Sep 22, 2008.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

O dear the moans and groans are coming out now from 1st section bands who had to play in 2 seperate sections to try and get in the final play off 6.
    I was right when i put a post on WELL before the contest about this and my words have come true!!!!!!:tup

2. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

:clap: Ian Perks - A Visionary. :clap:

3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Part of my post

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Chunky :clap::clap: for you as well from me

5. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

I thought he was a butcher...............

6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I am but do abit bit of all sorts:biggrin:

7. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Well, just to try my hand at it (and I'll be dragging this out next January)

I reckon there'll be a few people after Butlins 2010 who aren't happy with the result.

8. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

So where were you Perky Von Perkster? I didn't see you in the 'crowd'. You weren't thrown out for attempting to impersonate a baritone player again were you? :biggrin:

9. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Impersonate a baritone player very drol.
    Check out facebook you will see where i was somewhere better than Butlins contest;)
    However i will be at The Fox Hunt in Bedworth in March.:biggrin:

10. animal.22

animal.22 Member

If someone asked you for your oppinion of perhaps six differant cars you would usually be expected to go and look at all six cars.You couldn't possibly send someone else to look at three of them and then be able to give a fully informed oppinion of ALL six cars yourself.

11. animal.22

animal.22 Member

Give the man a kipper. :biggrin:

12. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

But if you wanted to consider 30 different cars, to choose one you were going to share with your missus (who in this case is equally knowledgable about cars), you might think it reasonable to split the 30 into two, go and look at 15 each and come back with your top 3, that both of you can consider. Just to save time like.

If you tried to see all 30 personally, you'd probably get bored, and annoyed, especially if loads of them were very similar, and it'd be very difficult to make an accurate assessment of them all, particularly if you only had a couple of hours to do it.

13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Trouble is there were more than six "cars" to judge - nearly 30 as it happens, which is entirely why the section was split.

Using the car analogy - you look at several cars, and because time is tight, your mate - whose opinion you trust, looks at several cars. At the end of the day you both come up with three each - which you drive and then decide which one you buy. Given the time constraint it seems like a sensible approach to me.

You obviously have some sort of agenda here, given your posts in this thread and elsewhere on these boards. The fact remains - if you don't like the format no-one is forcing you to compete.

14. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Lol @ Lynchie.

Great minds eh?? :)

15. animal.22

animal.22 Member

Animal.22 wanders off into the sunset gently muttering to himself in abject despair wondering why life seems so odd at times. Is it coz I is a drummer? :eek: :confused: :biggrin:

16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

We have deleted a number of off-topic posts from this thread.

Please keep this thread for proper discussion of Butlins and its aftermath.

17. critic

critic Member

well done the contest overall was great the 4br retros interesting and therewas some fine playing in allthe sections

18. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Engineer's approach to buying cars, or contests with too many bands, or selecting the right hammer for putting up shelves.

19. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I'm still not convinced about the split draw for the first section - it's potentially a long time to hang around when you've driven across for the day, can't have a drink and there aren't many places to sit down unless you want to listen to the bands (which I didn't!).

But just my opinion and as everyone else seemed to enjoy the weekend I will assume I am wrong ;-)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  20. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I have a solution to the above. In the good old days at Pontins when they had the qualifying, in the three resorts, they held it over the Easter weekend, and each of the sections played on a separate day. Just move the contest weekend, so every one gets to play and be merry, at various times throughout the weekend.