Butlins 2009

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Inspector Gadget, Sep 22, 2008.

1. I've just had a quick squizz on Butlins website, and it says that Grimethorpe are there!

Does anyone know if they are competing then???

Will be brill if they are, gives 1 more reason to stay on the sunday for the entertainment.
  2. chiephonium

chiephonium Member

Think they are doing a concert on the Sunday Evening
  3. iaindrum

iaindrum Member

carlton main are going and so are hepworth
  4. 3rdcornetsolo

3rdcornetsolo Member

Derwent and Stockport are both there too
  5. tat

tat Member

I've been told Milnrow will be there too.
  6. Veri

Veri Member

Where on the website does it say who's going? I had a look and can't find it.

Hope it's not the Sunday night - they always put the best stuff on Sunday night and I have to be at work the next day!
  7. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Can you not book the Monday off. I always take Friday and Monday off for this weekend, makes the event even more enjoyable.
  8. Veri

Veri Member

I'm not allowed to take holiday in term-time - I work at a college library. (I ended up with Butlins-itis last year and had to take the following Thursday off as I'd got overtired and caught flu!)
  9. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Oh well, sorry. How about catching Butlinsitis over the weekend. Just make sure you don't tell them you are going.
  10. hornydevil

hornydevil Member

Has Butlinsitis got the same symptoms as Pontinitis!!? ;) Knocks you for 6!
  11. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Just read the 4BR article, 1st section has 32 bands, there's gonna be two 16 band sections, then the two top 3's will play off for the title!! Cool!

All 6 qualifying bands will receive prize money too!
  12. cherrybassett

cherrybassett Member

Just read 4barsrest too, i had this on good authority that it was a rumour, looks like the organisers have decided to go along with it after all. Looks like its gonna be a long and dry day for us in the 1st section then. Looking forward to this, more by way of intrigue than enything else.
  13. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I have known about this (as a rumour) for a while and I am glad its been made official so it can be discussed.
    Personally I would rather have this system than a lottery of trying to pick from 32 bands.

Does raise the question about you can't relax after you've played in case you have to play again. But on the whole I think its a fair solution and lets the max number of bands compete.
    It would be nice to have a bit more detail on timings of when the run-off happens.
  14. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

So thats 32 bands in the 1st section alone! does that make this the largest national contest going?

I have to say I love Butlins, it's well organised and well run as well as a great weekend away even if your not playing.
  15. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Am I the only one that sees a few problems with this?

1) two different competitions, two different adjudicators, ergo - two completely different sets of criteria for winning and losing. Level playing field? Erm... nope. I await the inevitable "But we surely would have got through if we were drawn in the other half..." comments - which may or may not be justified. Plus, is it the same two in the evening or someone else? The possibilities for a very dodgy result are endless.

2) Imagine drawing number 16 in your initial "Qualifier" then drawing number 1 in the Final. Your lips will still be knackered from giving it your all to get through and you've every chance of giving a poor showing. Compare that with a band who drew number 5 in their initial group an has had all afternoon to recover. Fair? No.

3) All of us tend to put everything we've got into a contest performance in order to ensure a win. Are we not just going to get 6 tired and error-strewn performances in what should be the high-point of the contest? Or conversely, if we all save ourselves for the evening, are we not going to get 32 dull, safe performances in the morning?

4) How much is a Butlins Chalet for the weekend? Let's see, 25 brass, 3 perc, conductor + A.N. Other, say, thirty people a band at least? How much extra money are they going to make from this? Could this possibly be the real motivation? Look, I know they don't hold the contest out of the goodness of their hearts but butlins has always been a great contest and this stands to really take the shine off it, just for the sake of wringing a few extra quid out of us.

Can you imagine the uproar of someone suggested this for an areas? There's more holes in it as an idea than a golf course. Contesting is enough of a lottery without all this tedious mucking about muddying the waters.

Not impressed.
  16. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Should be good fun wish i was going to see who makes the top 6 bands
  17. Owen S

Owen S Member

Some of that I agree with, some definitely not.

1. That's actually no different to any other contest, where you can still say "We'd have won if X was adjudicating.

2. Fair comment, and that is unavoidable. There will be some sort of break, but it may not be enough.

3. Also fair comment, though I think you exaggerate a bit.

4. In terms of time taken, the change means a total of 22 performances. It's not going to finish much later than the other sections, if at all. Also remember that the prize money has been increased to compensate.
  18. astreet83

astreet83 Member

I can see band members binge drinking Saturday night to make up for lost time. Hope the Butlin Red Coats are quick at serving nearly 1000 1st section players all at once!!!

Do we know if the groups are going to be pre-drawn so we know who will be adjudicating and which rooms are going to be used.

Surly they can't use the same room as one of the groups for the final as this could be unfair!

How about this one, can the winning 6 bands pick who they want to adjudicator the final?

Are the point from the qualifer and final going to be put together?

Whats the prize money?????

Someone one mouthpiece must have this info to share
  19. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Perhaps they'll take 1 adjudicator from each section.
  20. Will the 6 bands get remarks in between the 2 seperate rounds, therefore allowing them to tweak things in between performances?