Butlins 2009 Test Pieces

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by MRSH, Jan 17, 2008.

1. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

What a fantastic way to remember Stuart Pullin - and I love the piece :clap:

A CD with these pieces on will be available at this weekends contest too. Great service. Well done Butlins.

The test piece for all sections are as follows:

‘Harrison’s Dream’ – Peter Graham (published by Gramercy Music)

First Section:
    ‘Hostile Skies’ – Richard Grantham (published by Lake Music)

Second Section:
    ‘Crusade’ – Rieks van der Velde (published by Lake Music)

Third Section:
    ‘Haydock Variations’ – Stuart Pullin (published by Gramercy Music)

Fourth Section:
    ’The Four Noble Truths’ – Philip Sparke (published by Anglo Music)

Courtesy of 4barsrest
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  2. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Agreed :tup Well done to the organisers. :clap:

Fantastic choices too for the Championship section, and for the forth section. I played Four Noble Truths when it was selected for the National Finals in 2004, great piece of writing, not easy for 4th section, and quite long time wise if I remember rightly? I'm sure its a good 15 minutes long. I havn't heard of the other two pieces, are they new works?
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Good on Butlins for remembering Stuart.

Having played 4NT with Fulham, I feel it is a big ask for most fourth section bands, and I suspect a lower turnout will result.
  4. Di B

Di B Member

I want to play in the fourth section next year!! 4NT is hard for that level but I dont know of a band that doesnt like it or a band that has bored of it - and that is unusual for a 4th section piece! From memory you need a good horn player for 2nd movement. If not playing then I will happily listen to all fourth section bands next year - im excited already! :) Dont know the other pieces... Any opinions?
  5. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Great, Harrison's Dream for next year, yet I've got to play Life Divine on Saturday. Marvellous! Not a hint of sarcasm, honest!
  6. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Can't fault the organiser's efficiency, but isn't announcing pieces more than a year in advance, before the previous years contest has even taken place, a bit over the top? It doesn't matter how good the piece is, you're going to get bored to death of it if you start rehearsing it a year in advance. With the huge amount of prize money offered I am sure that a lot of bands will do just that - at least once the areas are out of the way. Expect to see every own choice contest this year littered with bands playing the Butlin's piece.
  7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Is by our former Musicial Director and if its anything like the arrangements we played while he was with the band im sure its going to be a real brilliant piece to play,with how he went about preperation for a test piece it was no stone left unturned each one was looked at underneath and looked inside as well.
    Our band have only got to go back to the Midland Area last year 1st section to see why we Won the contest+a very commendable performance at Butlins last year
    MANY CONGRATULATIONS DICKY G:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
    We are all pleased for you at Gresley Colliery Band
  8. JR

JR Member

Test piece by Richard Grantham

I'm really pleased for Richard Grantham who has been a friend of mine for over 20 years. We have collaborated on many projects over the years and I have premiered several of his pieces, most recently "Spirit of Africa" which is on Skelmanthorpe's new CD, and before that "Gothic" with Yorkshire Co-op.
    I know Richard has been keen to get a piece chosen for a major contest - this is really good news - it's good stuff!

John R
  9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I'd be amazed if any bands start rehearsing the pieces straight after the Areas. If bands are serious about winning any of the huge prize pots at Butlins then the last thing they'd do is want to go there with a band full of players who are sick to the back teeth of the piece because they'd been bashing it for 10 months. In any case if you can't play the thing after a month or so, then you're not going to play it after 10!!

I agree that its early - I guess Butlins and NEMBBA are taking the opportunity to do this while everyone is talking about the contest, but before the announcement gets lost in the post-contest discussion / agruments(!). At least this way we don't have the daft "wait-and-see" situation that we do with the Area and finals pieces.
  10. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

According to the news item on 4BR, the organisers claim that they are announcing the choices early in response to feedback from competing bands. In other words, we asked for it, apparently. :confused:
  11. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Crusade was recorded by Brass Band "De Waldsang" from The Netherlands, and last year it was selected as the testpiece for the NABBA championships "challenge section";
    Here is the explanation. You can also listen to a recording there (but I didn't try it yet) and download a miniscore
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  12. gerry

gerry Supporting Member

Butlins 2009 testpieces

There is also more information about 'Hostile Skies' on our website:
    demo mp3, pdf file miniscore, scorch file

13. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Harrisons Dream is an excellent choice. :clap::clap:

Can't say I've heard of Hostile Skies - any opinions?
  14. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Christ seems the organisers of contests cant win!!

One minute folk are moaning that the Areas/Finals pieces arn't released in plenty time, then the next others start moaning that Butlins pieces are released far too soon!!

Anybody got a map or timetable so we can help the organisers find the happy-medium somewhere to please everybody.....
  15. dyl

dyl Active Member

Did you read the post immediately before yours? ;)
  16. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

That probably would have been a good idea! :oops::oops:
  17. zak

zak Member

Just because the piece is announced it doesn't mean you have to start rehearsing it straight away!!!!! Controllers can't win,people moan when too late and people like u moan when too early!!!

If you honestly think a band will start rehearsing a piece a year in advance just because of prize money then may I suggest you take the next space shuttle back to earth!!! If your band has to rehearse a piece a year before then suggest u find a better/more dynamic/interesting band!!! ;)

You can't have it both ways.
  18. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I think its a great idea. A full twelve months to sort out the errors and errata.

19. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

At last a decent Rep part!!!! I wish it had been this years choice of a piece.
  20. blakeyboy

blakeyboy Member

Just listened to Richard's 'Hostile Skies' and really enjoyed it...

Nice one Mr G!