Butlins 2007

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by imthemaddude, Jun 22, 2006.

1. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

ch: Northern Lights
    1st: Music for the common Man
    2nd: Kaleidoscope
    3rd: Edwin of Northumbria
    4th: The Journeyman

At least I'll feel at home in the 3rd Section :p
  2. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

Bring on the 2nd Section!!! :clap:
  3. bigcol

bigcol Member

Edwin of Northumbria - anyone know anything about this piece? it's a new one on me.
  4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

So Music for the Common Man. Kenneth Downie?? I know little about this piece, and although its not confirmed whether we're going next year or not, I think the general feeling is yes. So what's it like? I seem to remember we missed it by a year when it was an Area piece - either going up, or coming back down again! :-?
  5. Di

Di Active Member

Come to Pontins and you'll be able to hear it. ;)
  6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Is it the Pontins piece too? Flippin' eck they'll be having drafty chalets and Captain Croc at Butlins before long....;)
  7. Di

Di Active Member

Sure is. See?

Took me a bit by surprise too.

But hey, don't you DARE knock Captain Croc! He's a hero. :biggrin:

Crocodiles ... Crocodiles, we're swimming for miles and miles...
    Crocodiles... Crocodiles, for a happy snappy hol..i.. day! :biggrin:

Wooo, if only we had a needle for our turntable, I could get the lil old record out. :redface:
  8. BandTaxi

BandTaxi Active Member

Wasn't it also the First Section Test at Bugle earlier this month?? Seems to be very popular at the moment!
  9. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Yea, Keith Wardle Has written it and it is published by Lidgett Music.
  10. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

Northern Lights?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
  11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

"Northern Lights" was written by Philip Wilby as part of the Black Dyke celebrations. It was designed to be complimented by dance, and in its original version incorporated a recording of the Dyke of the 1930s playing "Deep harmony", which provides the basis of the work. It will be interesting to see whether that recording is to be incorporated in the contest performances or not. Dyke featured it at the RAH gala concert last year, and it is on their "Golden year" cd.
  12. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

Oh I know what it is my confusion is WHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYY??????
  13. Flugelmahorn

Flugelmahorn Member

I think Northern Lights is a super piece and really pleased to see it being used at a contest. I think it will be quite a challenge for the bands.
  14. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

Oh don't get my wrong it's a great piece of music but I dont think it leaves much to listen to after 4 performances??????? NO?
    Will bands be able to breing there own dancers?
  15. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

If this year's area piece is anything to go by, then we should have the option of either playing a DVD of the dancers or doing it ourselves :biggrin:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2006
  16. Bones

Bones Member

John Mc Cabe has done one called Northern Lights.

Do we know which one it is.
  17. jonford

jonford Member

It's defo the Wilby Northern Lights beeing used. I really like the piece too!
  18. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

When I first saw the dvd of Northern Lights I thought sounds good , seeing the dancing which added nothing to the band performance made it a cringeworthy experience. It got in the way of the music which is nothing new from Dr Wilby ( how many pieces can someone do without it sounding like his last work etc),it was pretentious and just looked daft( yes before anyone does say I know the dancing element will not be a factor).
    I am sure the banding movement can leave Dr Wilby alone for a couple of years and use other pieces from banding large collection of original works.
    who choses the works for consideration?
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  19. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

;) Don't seem like it will be so until at least January though does it?:rolleyes:
  20. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

While I won't give my full opinion of Dr Wilby on a public forum :mad: , why oh why do contest organisers refuse to see past their own noses? Just because a composer is fashionable it doesn't make them any good. Westlife are fashionable, but it doesn't stop them being utter dross. Please can we have some imagination when choosing testpieces?