Buster Strikes Back

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cornetchap, Dec 3, 2003.

1. cornetchap

cornetchap Member

I'm going to be performing Alan Morrison's solo Buster Strikes Back at my church's Christmas Show this coming weekend and I'm looking for info about the piece, such as why it was written. I've seen from Alan's website that it was inspired by his nephew Philip, but he doesn't go on to elaborate. I've fired off an e-mail to Alan but no response so far (I guess he's a busy man :) ), so I wondered if anyone here could provide any insights.

Cheers, Greg.

2. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I cant rememer the full story but I'm pretty sure its was about his nephew being ill and then getting better, hence the "strikes back" bit
    Sorry cant give you the full story but that's as much as i remember

3. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

It was for his ill nephew. Am i right in saying he had Leaukemia? I think this is right however i cannot be certain.

Its a good piece...played it a few times. Nice upbeat number. :D

4. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

I've got it on cd and this is the info that it gives:

More than just a cornet player, Alan, is a rounded and experienced musician with many talents, and here he plays one of his own compositions, the Cornet Rag Buster Strikes Back -- A piece dedicated to his young nephew who has fought courageously against illness, and is winning!

Hope this helps!

Vicki

5. cornetchap

cornetchap Member

Thanks to everyone's responses. I think I have sufficient info now.

Cheers, Greg.

6. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

99.9% sure it was leukemia, if that helps!
    Hope the show goes well.

7. cornetchap

cornetchap Member

Thanks, so do I.

I foolishly volunteered to dep for a concert band who are also playing and they want to play first as one of their members needs to leave early, just hope it doesn't do my lip in too much.

I'm also doing the Donald Hunsberger arrangement of Tis The Last Rose of Summer (as played by my hero Wynton Marsalis). Thankfully this lovely melody is relatively straightforward technically, just got to try and get the right emotion into it (i.e. not nervous :? )

Cheers, Greg.

8. Soppy

Soppy Member

Yeah, it was lukemia.

He claims his nephew can play it better than he can now. lol!

9. groovy

groovy Active Member

Its a groovy piece, Campbelton Youth played it at the weekend, their soloist was excellent! Its a nice story as well. :)

Good luck :D

10. MattB

MattB Member

Excellent piece of music!

Funny story.............. we were recording a CD a few years ago and our Principle Cornet recorded Buster, but he was sick with flu! It was more like a case of Daniel Strikes Back that day!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Alan Morrison
    Buster Strikes
    Buster Strikes Back
    Philip
    Christmas Show
  12. lucy_a

lucy_a New Member

You are sort of all right. This is the true story - we played it in my band and my conductor knows Alan Morrison.

Buster is his nephew (can't remember his name) and Buster is a nickname they gave him. His real name is utterly different. Morrison wrote this piece while Buster was ill - I can't remember what it was, but judging by the other responses I'm guessing it was Leukaemia.
    This piece was to show Buster getting better and 'striking back', and Buster did and now is 30, I think, with two children.

I love this piece and am doing it for my Grade 7 (yay!)