Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by euphfanhan, Jul 17, 2005.

  1. euphfanhan

    euphfanhan Member

    Hey, just wondering, does anyone have any information about licenses for busking or where/how to apply for them? Have googled it but not found much. Thanks in advance.
  2. brassneck

    brassneck Active Member

  3. euphfanhan

    euphfanhan Member

    I did try that link before, but I was too dumb to work out what to do next??? :rolleyes:
  4. brassneck

    brassneck Active Member

    I've noticed that some bye-laws in some places don't require permits, although the performance may be perceived as obstruction or noise nuisance by the local plods!
  5. euphfanhan

    euphfanhan Member

    Ach thats not a problem, we'll just make sure we have a mute handy :tongue:
  6. brassneck

    brassneck Active Member

    Another site I looked at where brass band players went out busking, they checked with the police first!
  7. euphfanhan

    euphfanhan Member

    Could try that I suppose...the worst they can say is no...and the worst we can do is ignore them!
  8. Will the Sec

    Will the Sec Active Member

    On a practical level, don't go out alone.

    Arrange for a trusted soul to go with you and to deal with any people who might want to intimidate you to move on, and/or "redistribute" any money you have collected.

    Also, check your insurance policy covers busking - Some definitely do not.

    Best to err on the side of caution.
  9. Di

    Di Active Member

    I used to have to arrange the license for our band when we did Christmas caroling. You need to get in touch with your local Council.
  10. geordiecolin

    geordiecolin Active Member

    Yeah, check with your Council, they will have info on where and when you can busk and what permits (if any) are required.
  11. flower girl

    flower girl Member

    this may be a daft question but cant you just go up to the next person who u see busking and ask them where they got there permit/licence from?
  12. Di

    Di Active Member

    No need. The answer IS go to the Council. As well as my doing it for my old band years ago, Vic and a group of friends played in the market square a couple of weeks ago. Her friend got in touch with the council and organised a permit.
  13. Alice

    Alice Member

    I've been busking the last 2 christmas' in Cambridge and you don't need a lisence. As long as you're about 100 yards away from the next busker and move every hour or so then it's ok.
  14. yonhee

    yonhee Active Member

    Erm daft question maybe but why Hanna?
  15. Jasonp

    Jasonp Member

    I go busking with a quintet at Christmas every year in London. You can play anywhere in the Westminster City Counsil area without a lisence as long as your not causing an obstruction on any highway or walkway. If your going to play outside any shops I'd advise you to ask the manager if they mind first. The only problems I've had in the past have been from tramps giving us a hard time for playing on their patch...oops :shock:

    So, best thing to do is give your local counsil a call and see what their rules are.

    Happy Busking :)
  16. PeterBale

    PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

    With many shopping centres now being in the hands of private companies, you may find that you need their permission if you stand on their premises, and from experience they are less likely to agree to it than local authorities are.

Share This Page