Busking Music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Ginge, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Ginge

Ginge Member

Hi all.
    After a successful Christmas of busking last year (£1100 in 10 hours), my mate and I have decided to do a bit of busking outside the Christmas period to earn a bit of extra cash. Only problem we have is what music to play???
    We have thought of a German theme as we're going to be busking in fancy dress as it attracts more. Unfortunately we can't find any Oom pah Band music. Any ideas where we can find this music?
    We both play cornet/trumpet to a high standard and there may be 1 other joining us on occasions.
    Any ideas of any music to play would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers!

2. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There's some catchy German Oompah MIDI files here.

4. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Just found my old set of Hungry Five - if you want to borrow them PM me - just promise to return them, they are excellent books.

5. Al

Al Member

Wow! A good collection. Did you play at Christmas with a brass band?

People are a lot more generous when they know their money is going to a local brass band's funds rather than for someone's 'beer money' or whatever. And Oompah and Christmas don't really mix do they.

From my experience of Oompah bands, it seems that generally folk are less impressed with a high standard of technical playing than they are with basic fun and entertainment. We had a local brass based Oompah Band that was doing well, then another local brass band thought they'd get in on the act and a group of them tried a few gigs, they didn't have an ounce of personality between them although if they had been playing at the local music festival they would have achieved top marks for expression, dynamics, tuning and strict tempo etc.

6. Ginge

Ginge Member

No, i didn't play in a brass band last Christmas. There were just 3 of us dressed as shepherds. So i think the money we got was quite generous enough really.

As for the oom pah band music at Christmas. That's not what we're doing. We'll play Christmas music at Christmas and other music (oom pah) at any other time.

I realise the majority don't really mind too much about the standard and just like it for the fun side. That's why we dress up!

It's not just Oom pah music we're looking for anyway. Just interested in any ideas people have on music to busk with.