Burry Port (SWWBBA) Contest - 06-10-07

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Dave_the_Flugel, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Thought I'd start a thread on this now.

So whos going then? And/or does anyone have a full list of the bands entered?

Cross Keys will be there in Section 3 hoping to put the poor result from last weekend's finals behind them and hoping to retain the title we won in Ammanford last year.
  2. Timpking

Timpking Member

I'm not going. Thought it would be more enjoyable to stay at home and watch football on TV.
    Good luck to all bands especially the BTM boys and Girls. I'm sure they will win their second local contest of the year on Sat.:clap:
  3. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

I'm not going for the first time in more years than I care to remember!! Ammanford last year was my last contest with Rogerstone.......playing Lorenzo with a fire alarm accompaniment for the last 20 odd bars was great!! We did have a good cheer at the end though.....must have played well!!!:rolleyes:;)

All the best to all bands competing, especially Rogerstone......I hope there is no return of the fire alarm!!

Just realised I won't be able to go to Treorchy afterwards as I have a job with my new band that day.
  4. no2taz

no2taz Member

Newbridge will there. looking forward to our seccond contest playing our second test piece in as many weekends.. its a chalange but one we are exited about.

See you all there hope the sun is out
  5. New South Welshman

New South Welshman New Member

Looking forward to it.
  6. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Ogmore Valley will be there in the 2nd Section.....however I've heard on the grapevine that it's not going to be a very good turn out by bands in general:( :-?
  7. Timpking

Timpking Member

8. JayneSop

JayneSop Member

Ok When should the contest be re arranged for? What date would you prefer?

9. Timpking

Timpking Member

How about nearer the start of the year. It would be a great chance for bands to run out piece for the area.
    How about middle to end of Feb?
  10. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Don't forget guys ...the World Cup Rugby quarter finals are on this particular day....this MAY have some bearing on the decision taken by some bands. Perhaps we believed that Wales would reach the quarter finals :oops: :oops: :biggrin:
  11. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

That's not going to make a great contest, may as well not make it own choice but a set test on the Area test piece! Ok so it would give bands a run out but I just don't see the point.

I wonder how long the Ammanford/Burry Port contests have been going, I don't know - but I am sure someone can enlighten us. Fair enough the contests at Ebbw Vale Treorchy and west wales have had dwindlling numbers over the last few years.......perhaps better prize money and other incentives may bring back the bands.
  12. Timpking

Timpking Member

It doesn't have to be a set piece. Bands could play their area or Butlins or whatever they want piece. Alot of conductors would be glad to run through the piece with some constructive comments to then work on for Swansea. You never know this may attract non Welsh bands to attend.
    Having won at this particular contest as a player and conductor I can honestly say that the contest isn't great as it stands. The whole system of the local contests could do with a rethink.
    I totally agree with you about prize money this has been an issue for a long time, however what other incentives could there be for bands to attend apart from better prize money?
  13. RobBari

RobBari Member

Markham won 1st section. well done all really good performance.
  14. Timpking

Timpking Member

Champ section results via text!
    3.Burry Port
  15. BryonySnell

BryonySnell Member

Well done to Newbridge, a good result....what did you and the rest of the bands in the Championship Section play? Actually what did any band play?

Any more news of the First Section anybody? Cheers!
  16. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Sorry.......last post was me!!:biggrin::rolleyes:
  17. emzbaby31

emzbaby31 New Member

i dont like stevie!!! the only time we have ever won under him was when we sang in the middle of hello dolly 2 him at an entertainment contest! oh well you win some an theres us always losing!! but well done 2 xkeys a very respectable 3rd! we will be back pontins here we come!!! :D
  18. RobBari

RobBari Member

1st section was

1. Markham 191 pts music for the common man
    2. Pontadulais 190 tallis vriations
    3. Briton ferry 189 don't know
  19. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Heard Briton Ferry played Purcell Variations......Rogerstone 6th apparently!:confused:
  20. RobBari

RobBari Member

Rogerstone played Resurgam but i can't confirm placing