Burry Port in the news

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by James Yelland, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

This morning's Times carries an article about Burry Port Town Band's visit to Libya next week as part of Colonel Gadaffi's anniversary celebrations, with a large photograph on the front page.

Being a Welsh band, you'd think 4 Bars Rest would have been breaking the story first, wouldn't you? Particularly given the current newsworthiness of the event.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Times
    Burry Port
    Burry Port Town Band
    Welsh
    Libya
  3. alks

alks Member

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I wonder what the headlines would have read had it been a Scottish band?

5. homer

homer New Member

I think its disgusting that they've gone out there,also iv heard that Robert Mugabe is attending too. They should be ashamed!!!!!

6. Timpking

Timpking Member

If it had been Tedegar you would be sick of hearing about it!

Good luck to them.

7. dyl

dyl Active Member

And you had to create a new account to say so? :confused:

8. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I don't think he did.

Apparently he has been a member for 2 years....

9. dyl

dyl Active Member

Well spotted! Still a bit weird how he couldn't use his main account - especially seeing as he was using it earlier.................... ;)

10. lowsaints

lowsaints Member

Let's face it, the timing could have been better, but accepting an invitation to any country with a regime like Libya was never going to go down well with the majority of people in the UK. Given recent events with the release of the Lockerbie bomber, perhaps it would have been prudent not to go at all??

At best Burry Port have been naive in taking on this tour. At worst they will face being lambasted by the the media until something more interesting comes along for the press to attack

11. Hells Bones

Well, when I spoke to someone who is depping with them, the trip was planned weeks if not months ago.

It's not their fault the timing is unfortunate.

And at the end of the day. With the money they'll have been offered what band would have said no?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Times
    Burry Port
    Burry Port Town Band
    Welsh
    Libya
  13. Laura_E_horn

Laura_E_horn New Member

To be honest I don't think it is a big deal. By going out there they are not making a political point and they are not supporting Gaddafi's regime and they are not supporting the release of the Lockerbie Bomber. It probably didn't occur to many of them as they signed up for the trip that it could be percieved as they do! I think it is a great once in a lifetime oppourtunity for those musicians involved. They will be performing in front of loads of world leaders, not just Gaddafi, they are playing with military bands from around the world and they get to see a Country which I doubt they would have ever seen if it wasn't for this event. They will have an amazing experience! Good Luck to them!

14. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

I always thought 'duplicate' accounts weren't allowed....

Anyway, good luck to Burry Port, and I hope they have a great time without too many people trying to score political points over something that has nothing to do with the band or music in general.

15. andyp

andyp Active Member

Is now the 10th most read story on the BBC News website.......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8221817.stm

The way the BBC has put all the Lockerbie bomber links down the rhs of the page - it's almost as if they want to stir up trouble where previously there was none.

As for "condoning" - wasn't Col. Gaddafi on "our side" once? As were the Taliban (v Russia), Saddam Hussein, Idi Amin, etc, etc, etc.

16. Hells Bones

ITV News. right now

17. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

On the beeb here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8221817.stm

Ironic how nothing will induce mainstream media to acknowledge the existence of a brass band until there's a nicely controversial negative spin to be put on the story.

From what I understand of it the trip's been arranged for ages. Saying the band should be "ashamed" is nonsensical. If they were going to participate in some sort of Al-Megrahi celebration that would be true, but they're not.

I'm not sure I'd personally want to help celebrate Ghaddafi's 40th anniversary in power, but that's just me. He's certainly done more to improve the lot of his people than the average African dictator, they have the highest adult literacy in Africa and the oil money has been used to provide extensive social security (compare this with our good friends in Saudi Arabia, where the money has been used to buy gold Bentleys for the royal family, and favour with the US).

And if we're talking about shame, let's have a conversation about the 1986 bombing raids on Tripoli and Benghazi launched by the US from UK airbases with the the approval and support of our government; attacks which led to the deaths of many innocent women and children, including Ghaddafi's own 2 year old daughter. The French and the Spanish at least had the decency to refuse permission for their airspace to be used.

If Burry Port's visit can be used to create better, more friendly relations between our countries, and that means that less people have to die for no reason, then that's a Good Thing in my book. The band's officials will need to have their political antennae carefully tuned, but I'm sure they knew that anyway. Good luck to 'em.

18. tubaturk

tubaturk Member

As the designated band rep while the others are in Libya, I'll reiterate what I said on Radio Wales lunchtime.

To give this a bit of context, at the end of last year we were invited to an "International Music Festival" in Tripoli, all expenses paid for including flights, accommodation, meals etc. with the band performing with other groups from around the world, such as Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Russia and France.

It is true to say that it is one of series of events to commemorate the the 40th Anniversary of the Gaddafi-led government, although in honesty, the relevance of this was not communicated to us in full until quite late in the day.

I appreciate that the current climate involving Al-Mehagri's release has made things extremely difficult and sensitive, and I guess if we had received and invitation in the post today, our decision to go may have been different. However, when we accepted the invitation, our decision was taken against a background of Libya entering back into the international community with Gaddafi involved in seemingly positive talks with the various world statesmen and women, including our own and the USA's. The UK has rebuilt a number of its business links in the years since Lockerbie, and there are currently thousands of British ex-pats working over there.

From a personal point of view, I have in the past been pretty critical of organisations who have toured internationally isolated countries, for example rugby tours to South Africa under the old Apartheid system. However, Libya is back in the international fold, and has been for a number of years, and Burry Port will play in front of an audience of world leaders as long as a bass trombone slide, with a couple of obvious absentees.

If all this is so disgusting, then why aren't the media also having a go at the likes of France, Italy and all the other European, Commonwealth, developed and third-world nations who will be sending representatives?

I accept people's rights to judge us on the rights or wrongs of accepting the invite in the first place - I've explained our reasons, and I should say that if it wasn't for family committments, I would've been on the flight with them - but some have said (on here and on the radio) that we should've dropped out in the light of the releasing. Now, from a totally moralistic point of view, I can accept that some people may see it this way, however from a practical point of view, to pull out with a week or 2 to go would've basically bankrupt the band. Also, in the spirit of bringing people together through music and saying that we are not in the business of politics, by pulling out, we would in effect be making a political decision.

I know that August is the silly season in terms of news, but I don't see why a brass band should act as the scapegoats, when it is obvious that it is a number of senior government officials (from different governments) who have manged to create this diplomatic mess.

Cheers

Gareth

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  19. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

20. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

You make a compelling argument Gareth but I am having difficulty reconciling the above two statements.

Personally its up to the band to do what they have to do. If it were my band then regardless of whether the band chose to still go or not, I wouldn't be on the flight.

21. tubaturk

tubaturk Member

Sorry, what I should have said is that it's all expenses paid for, on the condition that we actually turn up. Due to the fairly significant sums involved, I believe that there is a pretty tight contractual agreement in place, and as flights have been paid for etc.

22. Beesa

Beesa Member

From the first link in the this thread
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6809881.ece

A bit of contradiction there which doesn't sit well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.