Burry Port band: censorship on tMP?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by towse1972, Sep 11, 2009.

1. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I tried to create a new thread today regarding the Burry Port situation and got a message telling me that it wouldnt be published until a mod had approved it. This is on top of 2 previous threads about this situation posted by other people which were locked.
    This subject warrants further discussion.......let us discuss or at least post a decent reason why you are censoring us again!
  2. baritastic

baritastic Member

Because you are not allowed to mention them anymore! And you are not allowed to comment on their trip to libya or anything else to do with them, unless it's to say you support them. I disovered this!

There is no freedom of speech here!
  3. Columbo

Columbo Member

Ooooh! Contoversial! Just read their website news release!

Like most things (and its not often I agree with you, towse1972 as we know LOL!) Censorship tends to increase the interest and publicity ensues anyway. Can't see any harm in having this discussion, providing, as I always request it does not become a slanging match as usual. Personally, I agree with their reasons and their very difficult decision they had to make. The emphasis is on music and the ability to bring people together with it. Feel they were in a no win situation there. No doubt this post will disappear also now.
  4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Grow up the two of you. The only reason the thread needed mod approval was because it was posted in the User Submitted News section - which posts straight to the front page of tMP - hence ALL threads in that area require mod approval. This has been the case for years. Once again, how wrong are you eh.

No subjects are censored on tMP, and you know that - so get off your soap boxes Donna and Baritastic. The only reason threads are closed on tMP is when they stoop to the levels of personal insults, down right offensive comments, and derogatory remarks. Discussions re the trip to Libya by Burry Port are not censored, and the reason the thread was closed was just because of what I said. We removed many posts and comments that were just stupidly rude and personal - added nothing the the thread, and were not about the trip to Libya - they were more about the personal offensive nature of certain individuals who were extremely insulting to others who dared disagree with their holier than though opinion. There's no need for that and despite several mod requests to keep on topic and not be offensive, people such as you baritastic, (who only signed up to be offensive on this topic) continued to be rude and offensive.

I am fed up with situations like this. If you want to discuss the trip to Libya, feel free, but grow up yeah, keep the debate civil, because as soon as it gets personal and insulting (and it's my guess with you it will) - the thread will once again be closed.

Donna - you're not an irregular user of offensive and personal comments either, are you.

There, you wanted contentious. Grow up and act your age, not your shoe sizes. If the cap fits - wear it, if it doesn't... have a good day. :)
  5. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

We do have freedom of speech on here but it still doesn't mean we can post anything we want to because it can hurt other peoples feelings and also this is a family thread so you have to careful about what you say......
  6. Pav

Pav Member

Lol. Think I saw most of your deleted posts. They were all offensive. If you want to enjoy the right to freedom of speech learn to accept the responsibilities that go with it.
  7. darcy21

darcy21 New Member

Why does the subject warrant further discussion? I think it's been discussed to death.

I also think it's time people just moved on. Stop dwelling (and in some people's cases, trying to cause trouble) on something that most people have already forgotten about.
  8. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

:biggrin: Wish I'd written that...;)
  9. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Blimey! Someones got the hump!!!
  10. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

yeah - I think it's you...
  11. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

12. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Do you own this site? Nope .....!! Its up to the people who pay to maintain it what stays and what goes. We all abide by those rules, and that is what you accept if you post here.
  13. MrsDoyle

Well said, Kim. I agree with every word. We don't have freedom of speech per se, we should abide by the rules and accept moderation in order to make the forum suitable for readers of all age ranges, to reduce offence caused by arguments and stop situations getting out of hand.
  14. Columbo

Columbo Member

And I quote!

As for growing up, moving on , Dwelling on etc.................Lighten up!

Most Threads on here finish up with back biting, total envy, jealousy or the need to argue unconstructively. Can't we just all shake hands and get on together in this perfect marshmallow world! Too much insecurity. :frown:
  15. MrsDoyle

Do you know what I find ironic about this debate?

The OP seems to be shouting at the system that allows her to shout...
  16. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I dont recall shouting Mr. Jones. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
    I merely wanted to carry on the very interesting debate regarding Burry Port (which seems to have fizzled out in favour of this random moaning session). I had been taking great interest in the developing situation and differing opinions.
    As for Johns rant and rave at me, well, I obviously touched a raw nerve to illicit such a scathing response. Being told to act my age and not my shoe size by someone with a bee in their bonnet because I had the nerve to crticise his forum, well, I consider that a personal and offensive attack.

Jason, I'm with you whole heartedly. Lets keep it civil and stay on topic. I would much rather discuss whatever problem Mr Jones , John and the voice of Foss Dyke have with me in person at any contest. Much easier. As you say, too many of these threads degenerate into mud pie sessions!

There are rules to abide by. I accept that, but some of these threads are closed down in a very personally motivated manner. Thats my opinion. Im entitled to it. Noone should try to stop me expressing it.
  17. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

I don't have any problems with you Donna, none whatsoever. For what it's worth, I think the Burry Port thing was blown out of all proportion due to the timing of the visit coinciding with Al-megrahi. Can't really say much more than that.
  18. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Depressingly, virtually all of the interesting ones. I'm just waiting for the Open thread to turn into the annual slanging match, it's only a matter of time :rolleyes:

"the voice of Foss Dyke", very good :biggrin:
  19. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Of course you're entitled to your opinion Donna, but you were wrong on several counts. The Bury Port thread was not closed because it is a taboo subject - it was closed because people like baritastic and others decided that they did not like their opinions being disagreed with - and they became personal and offensive. Simple as.

You are also wrong in thinking (and implying) that the thread you posted needed mod approval because it was related to the Bury Port / Libya issue - wrong again (as usual for you)... as I already explained.

Criticise all you like, but get over yourself eh.
  20. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Warning. This next post may contain flash photography.

I was going to do some in depth research so as to make an educated comment on this subject, but I see Columbo is on the case so I'm sure he will solve the mystery