Burning Sibelius-produced MIDIs to Audio CD

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by MrsDoyle, Aug 30, 2009.

1. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

How does one go about doing this? I've saved the MIDIs from the File > Export menu item in Sibelius and would like to burn them to CD to use as a 'backing track' for some performances for a friend. I would like them to work in a CD player if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for your advice :tup
  2. David Mann

David Mann Member

Don't know about CDs, but I have found mp3mymp3.com useful - you can record the playback from your composition program direct to mp3.
  3. MrsDoyle

Thanks David - will give it a go.

4. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Your friend could of course consider hiring real musicians for performances! ;)
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Play the midi file using your PC media player and record the stream using something like Audacity.
  6. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I'm sure if you import a Midi file into iTunes, and then burn a CD the 'normal' way it works? I'm sure I've done that before with some of my old uni work.
  7. deathalele

deathalele New Member

on linux you can use timidity to cereate a wav file of the midi file with the following command
    timidity midi_file.mid -Ow
    this will create midi_file.wav
    I have to say it sounds pretty good
  8. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I make my recordings in one of two ways:

1. I have a recorder running at the same time I'm playing through Sibelius (usually Nero Wave Editor or Audacity) then burn the resulting mp3 or wav file to CD.
    2. I use Sibelius's own ability to record direct to CD (Sib 4 onwards)

Either of these is less complicated than exporting as MIDI and then burning to CD. You don't say which version of Sibelius you have.
  9. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

It's simple

On the Sibelius 3 & 4 CD ROM there is an option of installing Kontakt Player. You must install this first.
    In the PLAY menu, go to "Devices" and use "Kontact" instead of the normal soundcard.
    Then go to FILE ~ "Save as Audio Track" and click YES to use Kontact Player and that will save the file as a WAV file.

The instruments will sound different though. I think using Kontakt improves it.

10. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Sib 3 & 4 are old! And WAV files are HUGE. On a Mac it is easy as it comes you can make a folder and burn it as a music CD.

Audacity works (one of the best free programs ever IMO) but the easy solution is to use iTunes as mentioned before. Import your MIDI files, put them in a playlist, and burn the playlist. Simple and easy.

Jim (The Bagman)
  11. MrsDoyle

I'm using Sibelius VI by the way.
  12. Fantomizer

Fantomizer New Member

And on mac you can try to use MIDI to MP3 converter for Mac. This program can convert midi files to mp3 and wav. Its main advantage is quick conversion without using sound card, with different instrument sets (soundfonts). You can try a free trial version of it to see how it works.
  13. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

download Audacity, open the MIDI in audacity, then choose the "export to mp3" option from the top toolbar, it will ask you where a certain codec is called the "lamemp3" encoder, download it from the link it provides and point audacity at its new home on your computer and hey presto MP3's...then you can put them into Windows Media PLayer's burn list, or use NERO to create an audio CD