Burnage Manchester Band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mofman, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Mofman

Mofman Member

Does anyone remember BMB? What happened to it?

I played with them during my teenage years from 1982 - 1986, under the baton of Gary Newborough (anyone know what he's doing now?).

A Simon Jones contacted me regarding BMB a few years ago, he now lives in France, came over for Whit Friday and bumped into me at Greenfields!! Can't believe he recognised me never mind found me amongst the crowds of people.

If anyone has played with BMB let's hear from you.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Burnage Manchester Band
    Gary Newborough
    Simon Jones
    BMB
    France
  3. nigeb12

nigeb12 Member

I played in Burnage Band back in ........early 70s. We rehearsed upstairs at the back of the Packhorse on the A6 in Levenshulme. I played 3rd cornet and sat next to a very young lad called Gary (surname escapes me) who went on to play flugel at Faireys.

4. Mofman

Mofman Member

Yes, that is where I rehearsed until they relocated to the Community Centre in Burnage.

5. AEHOWGATE

AEHOWGATE Member

I spoke to former member Trevor Cooke (who has sadly passed away) around a year ago. He said that the membership had dwindled and the bands demise was also due to the amount of car break-ins during rehearsals. I remember helping them out when Gary Newborough was there in the early 80's. It was a good, happy band.
    It would be nice if someone local to that area would have the drive and enthusiasm to get it up and running again.

6. Derek Maddocks

Derek Maddocks New Member

I played for Burnage Band (before the Manchester part was added) in the late 60's up to the mid 70's. I started in their junior Band (Solo Ttrombone) under the baton of Mr Keith Lightfoot before Gary Newburougher replaced him. You must have sat next to my younger brother Gary Maddocks who ended up as principal cornet and front row at Fairey's. I often wonder where they all are now, I left before they moved to the Burnage Community Centre and the atmosphere above the "Pack Horse" was great. Members I recall were: Tony Grant, Judith Grant, Tracey Mullen, Mike Pritt, Dave Jones, Steve Heywood, Artur & Sydney Daynes, Lesley and Ruth (think they became policewomen?) I can rattle off at least another 10 names.... Are you still playing as I am thinking of starting again... Derek Maddocks

7. Mofman

Mofman Member

I remember Syd and his brother not sure his name was Arthur though(?)

Dave Jones on trombone? If so I know him too.

I'm currently in Tintwistle Band.

8. Derek Maddocks

I was 2nd trombone to Dave Jones, I think they came from Romiley to help Burnage junior band and their senior band. There was David Parkins, Dave jones, olwen Winston, and others. Is David Jones still playing, it would be great to see him! Ted Lancaster was my mentor, he taught me how to march and hold the Trombone totally straight! whilst looking where I was marching, looking just below the "Lyre". The Drum major was Brian Dean he was amazing. Burnage had a long list of engagements, we tried to rise but never really was any more than 4th or 3rd section! Where are Tintwistle next playing? and what is your name, I may know you? ... Derek

9. Derek Maddocks

Nigel ? You sat next to my kid brother Gary Maddocks and I played Solo Trombone (Derek) are you still playing or know of any other ex: Burnage members?

10. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

11. Mofman

Mofman Member

Tintwistle are playing at Hatherlow, just outside Romiley on the 10th May. I won't be there as I have a prior engagement. You can follow the band at http://www.tintwistleband.org/engagements.htm. My name is Ian Moffett. I was between 10 - 16 years old during the early 80's. I'm now 40+!!

Dave Jones is playing for Marple Band and that's how I know him.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Burnage Manchester Band
    Gary Newborough
    Simon Jones
    BMB
    France
  13. Euphman2

Euphman2 Member

Could be wrong but there is a Tony Grant (C of E Reverend who used to be in banking and whose wife is called Judith). He is solo trom at Stalybridge.

14. connartist

connartist New Member

I played Eb bass with Burnage Band for a couple of years in the 1960's - up to about 1963 or 4. At that time Ken Dennison was conducting the band. I have a photograph taken at a concert during that time. I only know a couple of names but would be willing to download the photo if required.