Burbage (Buxton) get master class series under way

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by stevecritchlow, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Currently the players of Burbage Band (Buxton) are experiencing a series of master classes given by players from the very top of the movement. This innovative programme is designed to inspire and educate our players to a higher level, which we hope will improve our playing all year round. Burbage Band are renowned locally for teaching learners to play, and this latest move is designed to help counter a lack of brass teaching within local schools for our more experienced players. We are doing this in combination with the appointment of Fodens soprano cornet legend Alan Wycherley as our musical advisor.

On Tuesday 17 February, the band room played host to Mr Mark Landon, of the Fodens band, who gave a two hour master class on percussion technique to our three percussionist. Marks informal and friendly approach helped our players gain lots of useful tips to improve their playing and enjoyment of their instruments.

Our latest date to have been arranged is for cornet master class with Richard Marshall, principal cornet of the Black Dyke band who will be visiting us on Wednesday 11th March. Also arranged are a Euphonium master class with David Thornton, and a trombone master class with Brett Baker, but world class soloists with Black Dyke Band. We hope to be able to announce further dates shortly. The band are very excited by these developments, which have been made possible with the financial support of Mr B and Mrs L Wilson, of Cedar Finance Limited.:p

2. I'm delighted to be able to report that this series of events is going really well. So far our visitors have been Mark Landon, Sandy Smith, Brett Baker and Dave Thornton. All have been extremly encouraging and engaging, and I would recommend this sort of idea to all bands.

We are lucky to have a full band due to teaching lots of youngsters, but as a result we lack expeirience. These guys ooze experince and quality and are keen to pass it on, and of course the moe expereince my senior band get, the better their teaching of the next generation will be.:clap: