Burbage (Buxton) appoint soprano legend as pro

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by stevecritchlow, Feb 6, 2009.

1. The members of Burbage Buxton band in Derbyshire are excited to be able to annouce that soprano cornet legend Alan Wycherley has agreed to become the bands Musical Advisor, and will be helping to prepare the band for contests and concerts during the coming year.

Alan will need little introduction to most, having joined Fairies in 1972 at the age of 15, and having played continuously at the top level with Desford, Leyland and Fodens since then. The players of Burbage Band are eager to tap into a wealth of knowledge gained from working people such as Walter Hargreaves, Geoffrey Brand, Howard Snell, Richard Evans and Bramwell Tovey to mention a very few.

Burbage Band are widely known for teaching young people to play, and most of our senior band players have been produced by our junior band, but with this move we are aiming to increase the experience and knowledge of those in the main band. In addition we are arranging to hold a series of sectional master classes with top players. Both of these projects have been made possible by financial support given by Mr B and Mrs l Wilson of Cedar Finance limited, to whom we are very grateful.

In a press release Alan Wycherley said "
    "I am delighted to be asked to work with the Burbage band in the coming year. Having done a small amount of work in the past few years with them I have found the band a great mixture of youth and experience and they always seem willing to take on board musical suggestions that have been passed on to myself by the many top conductors I have had the pleasure of playing under over the years."
  2. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Great news Steve, exciting times ahead!
  3. yeah Steve, hope so. Theres no substitute for experience, we have a great bunch whi I'm sure will learn lots, and hence enjoy their playing even more. Thats the plan!;)