Bultins 06 - 4th section venue 'crazy horse'

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Simon_Horn, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

I have a question for any band that played in the crazy horse venue last year.

I've been told by contest organisers that there are NO warm up facilities available for this venue?? Can this be correct? I'm not sure how they can expect 4th section band to go straight on stage cold early on Sat morning?

I'm not sure what section played at this venue last year but would someone be able to tell me:

1) what your band did about warming up?
    2) was 5 min tuning up session allowed in the waiting area?
    3) did any band use challets to do the warm up - and is this allowed?
    4) how far is crazy horse venue away from challet area?

Thanks, Simon

2. PHA161

PHA161 New Member

There is a large changing room/general gathering/signing on area for all bands.
    The only chance was to arrive early into this room (although it was cold in there) and as one band went on stage that was the only chance to actually blow your instrument, then obviously the 'committee members' stopped this as the band was due to perform.
    No, our band did not use chalet to do this because the chalets were too far away, plus that fact that the outside temperature was freezing (Butlins were gritting the walkways).
    However, please bear in mind that the ceilings are low and the lighting was poor, however, the organisers did rectify this for the bands that had a later draw.
    Apart from all that, it was a most enjoyable contest especially with all the other banding attractions that Butlins offered.
    Best of luck

3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Yes, I remember standing outside the hall for about 30 minutes last year..luckily I was playing percussion so I wasn't too bothered. There is a dressing room where you can keep warm, but it is next door to the stage so you aren't allowed to blow.

No idea where the chalet's are in relation to the hall, I drove there and back on the day last year, and will do the same next week!

Good luck

DaveR

4. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Last year in the 2nd section we were put into a huge whitewashed, bare-walled room which if I remember correctly had a couple of folded trampolines in it. It was absolutely freezing cold (no heating). It was directly adjacent to the Crazy Horse itself so there was no chance to play any notes. The room was shared with the band about to go on and the one coming off.
    The room itself is a very big. No stage - I think the chairs were set out on the dance floor. The adjudicator tent sat right under a very noisy air-conditioning/heating unit.

But it didn't do us any harm last year as we won :clap: :clap:

Having said all this Butlins is one of the better organised contests I have attended and the atmosphere and facilities are fantastic.

5. postie

postie Member

Phil just beat me to it, Bestwood actually had a rehearsal in that room last year. I remembered speaking to some of the Carlton players after they had played last year and they mentioned the warm up facilities. But I will echo Phil's sentiments what a cracking contest Butlins is.

6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

1. I seem to remember being able to play a few quiet muted notes in the warm up area - it was quite noisy with upto [I think] four bands in there at anyone time so there was lots of chatter. If you did try and blow open notes though you were told to shut up. No worse than 99% of other contests though.
    2. No.
    3. We didn't - and I'm not sure how Bultins would react to anyone who tried to use a Chalet as a warm up room.
    4. Its not much further than the main complex...you have to go through a tunnel under the main Skeggy - Mablethorpe road though, so it does feel a little isolated.

The room itself is fairly large with a low celing, the lighting is pretty poor too. (As I came off stage last year I was told that my supposedly whispered "its a bit ****** dark in here" comment as I sorted myself out, was heard at the back of the hall...) I remember the acoustic not being the best, but for the life of me I can't remember whether it was boomy or dry.

Anyway as has already been said - its an excellent contest, and it would seem that the lower section venues are rotated (Crazy Horse was for 2nd Section last year) so at least you're not stuck in the same place every year.

7. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Spoke to Steve Walker from Bultins tonight about this and he said they were going to try and sort something out whereby only one band at a time could have a warm up session in the registration area and thereby reduce the noise bleed into the crazy horse venue.

May take a bit of organisation but hopefully they can sort something out.

Simon

8. HSB

HSB Member

Apparently there are now proper facilities for the 4th section. Warm up (and indeed tune up) areas have been sorted. I can't vouch for their location compared to the 'venue' itself but apparently when you do arrive on site on Friday night you have to ask (or tell) the security guard (for want of a better word) that you need the 4TH SECTION WARM UP AREA in the morning. Seems they will then allocate it according to the draw.

My advice, whoever is doing the draw for you, have them check numbers and times once the draw has been sorted. There will be a notice posted in the window of this place (wherever it is) but seeing as no-one knows where it is, your "Draw Meister" will need to note the location of the warm up facility and the time your band will be allowed access.

Good luck and see you all on stage!

9. Deano

Deano Member

Played there last year, from what I can remember you had to walk through the cellar area to access the stage. Percussion on the stage & band on the floor, very dark and a very noisy air con system to contend with, acoustic seemed to be dead though.

Anybody play at the Lakeside last year?

10. postie

postie Member

We, Bestwood were in Lakeside last year - its much smaller than Crazy Horse, it has low ceilings, good lighting and the audiance is right in front of you! (very close). The warm up area was a small tent / marquee, then we had to enter a side room for registration which lead into the main room. It was quite a walk from the Centre of Butlins, and even further if you are staying in the Silver rooms accommodation area, so allow yourselves plenty of time. If you are staying in Gold then you haven't got far to go.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bultins
    crazy horse venue
    section venue
    section band
    year
  12. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

Butlins

Hello Tmp's
    Just to let you kow, that Brass Band Aid will be down at Skegness for the weekend so come and visit us, we have a special raffle taking place too for a brilliant prize, hunt us out and buy a ticket, only a quid!
    Indeed, I'm told there may be over 2000 people in the main hall for the results on Saturday evening after IP Brass have played.
    Now then if everyone in there put 50 pence in the bucket, or if everyone bought a raffle ticket, wow, that would build one or two furnished classrooms at the school in Ethiopia. YOU know it makes sense, hang on to a 50 pence piece or a quid for a raffle ticket and build that classroom!!
    Cheers
    Bob

13. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy Member

Do 4th Section bands tune up?

14. HBB

HBB Active Member

Every now and again! :D

15. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

I assumed so - but perhaps i'm trying something out the ordinary here?!! .....hmmmm....nah, I guess tuning up is the way to go :)

16. HBB

HBB Active Member

Please Simon tho, don't use a tuner... use your ear! :d

(Oh, and i'll be there listening to you!)

17. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

What do you have against a good electronic tuner young Ben?! ....and we appreciate the support!! See you there.

Simon