Builder Etiquette ...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Big Twigge, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Now that all the children have grown up and moved out of home, Mum and Dad have decided it is time for Chateau Twigge to have an extension. The builders have been in a couple of weeks now, but parents have not been here to offer tea.
    Now I'm home and don't know how often you are supposed to offer tea?

All suggestions gratefully received, don't want to be remembered as the family who never gave them tea!
  2. NeilW

NeilW Member

We used to water our builders (who were under the house for about 6 months underpinning - what a mess !) once mid-morning and once about now - 3pm (if we were in)

How could you let your parents squander your inheritance on an extension they didn't need when you were all still living there??? :confused: ;)

3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

At least every 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours! Thirsty work building.
  4. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

We had builders here last year who required tea almost every 90 minutes.. . :)
  5. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I know terrible business!
    They have been meaning to do it for 25 years so it's about time they got around to we'll have a lovely new garden room (r'ah) and a bigger kitchen which surely means more food :)
  6. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

I mght suggest that however often you offer them refreshment, that you put it in a box an shove it into the room. I assume these are male builders. The presence of a female offering reshement will surely bring all work to a halt for a significant gap of time.
  7. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

My parents did the same thing, before they got a granddaughter to sqaunder the inheritance on instead. The family seat now has it's own baronial hall complete with sliding door onto the patio and a real chinese slate floor. I am still playing my crappy Conn 52H however... :mad: , only joking the bank of dad has given me several investment 'loans' of late.

I think the rule is twice a day and offer whenever you are brewing up.
  8. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Tis ok, he's working outside, we've had a nice chat and now he's getting on like a good builder.

He's had three cups so far and so have I, we're drinking in sync and in his defence he hasn't asked for any, I have just offered (work avoidance on my part really)
  9. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

being in the building trade myself some years ago, i can quite safely say that it was always great to be looked after my the people we were working for.

tea and coffe was always greatly recieved any time of day, especially when there is a nip in the air.

a nice bit of cake now and then always goes down well;)
  10. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

cup of tea & a hobnob (the marine of the biscuit world!) every couple of hours should keep him sweet!
  11. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Dunk me again, you coward!
    HorniKaz likes this.