Bugle 2007

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GJG, Sep 15, 2006.

1. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I realise I am probably way too far in advance here, but does anyone have any idea roughly when the set tests for next years Bugle contest are likely to be announced? Don't need an exact date, just a rough time scale

TIA

G.

2. BandTaxi

BandTaxi Active Member

There is a Bugle Contest Website. The link below takes you to the 2006 Schedule, which is dated 1st January 2006. Would therefore hazard a guess that the 2007 information might be released somewhere around the New Year.

Or, you could go on the website and contact the Promoter..... then you'd know for sure rather than relying on guesswork. Hope that helps.

http://www.buglebandcontest.co.uk/schedule.htm#test

3. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

OK thanks. I'd seen the website, but I hadn't noticed the date on it.
    It's probably close enough.

Ta,

G.

4. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Spoke to one of the committe the other day as it happens. They havent decided them yet, but will be soon :)

5. bravo

bravo New Member

The test pieces were chosen at a meeting of the music committee earlier this week. As soon as publishers information and availability of scores/parts have been checked we will make an announcement in the press.

Keep checking 4barsrest ant themouthpiece for an announcement within the next week or so.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Many thanks,

G.

7. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Cough.
    Sorry Faro, it's this weather.
    Hows the head today?

8. bravo

bravo New Member

Mozart McKnight!

My head is fine, although im a little worried about you with the ammount of HSD you put away!

Whats with the sore throat anyway? lol

9. bassinthebathroom

Nothing, perhaps there's something stuck in it trying to wend its way airborne...
    3 pints of most beer isn't anything, but HSD - I was surprisingly fine on Sunday morning.

10. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

And ... ?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bugle 2007
    Liz Courts
    Liz
    Bugle
  12. starperformer

starperformer Member

the usual format of test pieces is
    last post
    reveille
    one own choice

13. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

This was over a month ago now; does anyone know what the delay is?

G.

14. Scongie

Scongie Member

I've tried emailing the contact from the website but keep getting undeliverable messages returned to me:confused: . Have left a message on the guestbook so will update the thread if I get a response.

15. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

They have been decided and they aren't exactly the best kept secret.

However, I better not say anything.

Igg

16. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Still no announcement? Is the contest still on?

17. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Cancel Bugle? :eek: NEVER!!

My guess is that they just haven't got around to announcing anything yet...:)

18. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

i hope not our band may be going my first time playing at bugle!

19. bassinthebathroom

Test Pieces announced

This was sent to me by email from the contest committee, and also to 4barsrest, though it hasn't appeared on the site yet;

WEST OF ENGLAND BANDSMEN’S FESTIVAL

2007 Contest Music

Organisers of next years West of England Bandsmens Festival to be held at Mollinis Park in Bugle, Cornwall on Saturday 16th June 2007 have announced the following test pieces:

Championship Section
    Test Piece:
    Le Carnaval Romain (Berlioz arr. Frank Wright)
    Studio Music
    March:
    Celebration (Lesley Condon)
    SP&S

First Section
    Test Piece:
    The Belmont Variations (Sir Arthur Bliss)
    Studio Music
    Hymn:
    Crimond (arr. Peter Graham)
    Winwood

Second Section
    Test Piece:
    Henry the Fifth (Vaughan Willams ed. Roy Douglas)
    Studio Music
    March:
    Restormel (W. E. Moyle)
    Wright and Round

Third Section
    Test Piece:
    Divertimento (Bryan Kelly
    Studio Music

Fourth Section
    Test Piece:
    Psalm for all Nations (Eric Ball)
    Wright and Round

Youth Section
    Test Piece:
    Music for a Festival (Philip Sparke)
    Studio Music

Although the outdoor venue gives a general air of informality, players and audience treat the contest as a very serious competition.

Competition is run to the Five National Grades. A Youth Section is also included, but to cover local considerations this is run under our own Festival rules. The most significant departure is that we allow two senior players to take the stage.

Each class has a set
    test piece, the placings for which decides the Section winners. Additionally a second piece is set for the top sections, usually a Chorus, Hymn Tune or March. This is an historical hang over, and until more recent times the points awarded were aggregated to decide the class winners. We now feel the Test Piece is the major piece, but because of the nature of our audience the secondary piece has been retained to give variety.

The march to and from the contest grounds was introduced at the inaugural Festival in 1912, and has been retained as a popular feature ever since, although optional for the bands. The Deportment Class is now adjudicated on the march, although when initially introduced the Deportment Judge sat at a small platform alongside the main stage and the band was rather oppressively assessed from the moment of registration.

At the close of the contest the bands return to the village centre, where the Royal Trophywinners sign off the day by playing in the square. This is now well organised, but in early years there were some chaotic scenes as the village could not contain the mass of people, compounded by bands gaining on each other on the long march from Peniel (the then venue), often resulting in up to three bands playing simultaneously in the centre of the village.

The most significant change has been to transfer the contest from the grounds at Peniel to the present venue at Molinnis Park. Cloaked in the historic past and set in atmospheric surroundings, Peniel had become the spiritual home of the Festival, but the total inadequacy of car parking arrangements for an increasingly mobile population and the lack of basic services was making it increasingly untenable. It was a brave decision to move, but one that probably ensured the long-term survival of the Festival.

The Festival is not a fund raising venture for any organisation, its sole purpose being the continuation of the contest for the greater enjoyment of brass band music, as is defined by our Registered Charity status. Whilst attendance's have fallen away from those heady pre-war years, it would still take a larger hall than Cornwall possesses to house the contest indoors.

The Prize Money next year will total almost £4500 with the winners of The Championship Section being able to collect a Cheque for £1000, the highest cash prize in the West of England at a set test piece contest. Others Sections have not been neglected with a First Prize in the First Section of £500, Second Section £250 and Third, Fourth and Youth Section Winners £150. Those coming in Second and Third places will also benefit.

Full details on how to enter this unique contest can be found at www.buglebandcontest.co.uk or by writing to Mr A Teague, 35 Gloucester Ave, Carlyon Bay, St Austell Cornwall, PL25 3PT.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  20. Scongie

Scongie Member

Has anyone had their entry forms for Bugle yet. I've written to the contest organiser but not received anything yet.

21. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Had ours through on saturday. If you requested them, you should have had them before now.

Unfortunately, their website is way out of date as well.

Igg

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bugle 2007
    Liz Courts
    Liz
    Bugle