Bud Fisher Mutes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassneck, Dec 6, 2005.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm wanting opinions on aluminium mutes offered on eBay dedicated to Bud Fisher. Most of them (except tuba) are copper-bottomed and look tempting to buy! I chickened out from buying the tuba mute offered at £99.99 (not incl. P&P) as I am still considering the Wick metal as a viable alternative. Anybody use the Fisher mutes or can offer advice on the best metal mute to buy? Thanks in advance.

here's the link:-

2. mr b

mr b Member

A number of years ago there was a new brand of mute called "Hopkins Mutes" intruduced. The manufacturer was based around Loughborough,and it might just be the same person.If so the mutes were top quality and of very similar design if not the same!
    I seem to remember them being on display at Demontfort Hall, once the home to the Leicester Festival with entries into double figures in every section.:p
  3. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

My section at RV use Jo Ral mutes. They do a copper bottom and brass bottom straight mute. Both very good.

However we do have full sets. The Cups are a little flimsy but do give off a good sound, the harmons ( or bubbles as they call them) are excellent and the bucket mutes are possibly the best bucket mutes i have ever used.

They are expensive but i would have to say they are a lot better than the wick ones.
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- out of interest, what do your bass section use for metal mutes??
  6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I've just bought one, more out of curiosity than anything. Although the dimentions and materials can be compared with JoRal, it is in my opinion that they are inferior, being rather un-balanced and un-predictable. On the trombone straight mute, the high G (concert pitch) is very difficult to centre and the corks are way too big - I spent ages shaving the corks down to the right size. If a band were to buy a set of cornet mutes, some poor soul would have to spend a weekend dedicated to sandpaper!

One of the downsides of JoRal is the expense, but may I suggest a rather more obvious solution? It has become rather unfashionable to use Denis Wick mutes of late, but they really are well made and good value for money. When I last spoke to him, he was developing a copper-bottomed version, so look out for them.

Duncan Wilson
    GUS Band, not Travelsphere anymore :frown:
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- thanks for the comments Duncan. Buying tuba mutes is an expensive business and more difficult having one on trial if corks have to be sanded down. The cheapest I have seen a Wick mute for sale online is £128 (incl P&P) but I wanted to consider others that could compete with that price.