BT 1471

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by strongbow, Jul 30, 2004.

1. strongbow

strongbow Member

I recently read somewhere that as from 1st August BT are going to start charging for this service.

From what I remember dialling 1471 to find out your last call received is still free but if you press '3' to dial the number BT will charge you a connection fee of 5p whether they answer or not.

I usually just press '3' if I recognise the number but will be a habit I will have to learn to get out of!
  2. jonford

jonford Member

What so that means you'd get charged for everytime you ring 1471 and the number has been withheld! I hate it when that happens
  3. strongbow

strongbow Member

You can still dial 1471 FREE to find out the last number but if you press '3' to connect you to the number that's when the charges apply.
  4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

You know, I've NEVER used that. I always DIY. (My brother uses a dictaphone, but that's another story :) )

I occasionally use "5" to ring back, but that's all.

BT have had enough cash out of me over the years.
  5. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

you could always change to another supplier, pay higher line rental and get to use your phone for about half an hour a day...
  6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Ah! But I already have and have wonderful, cheap service which never lets me down, is incredib ly fast and doesn't tie up the phone line or much of my spending money. I pay only 1/4 of what BT used to rob me of for a sevice that was often down, was usually slow when it wasn't down and cost the Earth - and so I'm content. :)