BSO "Saint-Saëns from scratch" Portsmouth 20/11/11

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Robb, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Robb

Robb New Member

Hello TMP!

I'd like to draw your attention to a day of music making in Portsmouth organised by the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra on the 20th of November 2011. This project is for amateur musicians to have the opportunity to play Saint-Saëns Symphony No.3 (Organ Symphony). The day will run from 10am-5pm, beginning with sectional rehearsals led by members of the BSO. After lunch there will be a full orchestral rehearsal where the BSO members will play alongside you. The day will end with a performance to an audience of family and friends, conducted by the BSO's Assistant Conductor Rui Pinheiro. Musicians of all ages and abilities are welcome, although we have found in the past that those of Grade Five standard or above find these days more rewarding. The project will take place at the Portsmouth Guildhall, and the fees for participating are just £10 (or £5 for under 16s').

If you haven't done much orchestral playing before this is a fantastic piece and a great introduction to brass playing in a big symphony, with plenty to do! In this piece the brass section of the orchestra consists of French Horns, Trumpets, Trombones (tenor and bass) and Tuba. If you or anyone you know would like to take part please contact Linda Higson at the BSO via:

Tel: 01202644707
    Mail: Linda Higson
    BSO Resonate Admin
    2 Seldown Lane
    BH15 1UF

Many thanks
    Robb Tooley

PS I'd hate anyone to be put off by worrying about clef/transposition issues. If you're worried you may be presented with a part you find difficult to read please mention this to Linda in your correspondence - it may be possible to arrange some tenor trombone parts in Bb Treble, for instance.
  2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

... together with trumpet parts in Bb, as opposed to the original 1st/2nd in F and 3rd in C ... ???
  3. Robb

Robb New Member

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for your interest. Yes, I believe it will be possible to provide trumpet parts in Bb for the Saint-Saëns, as I'm informed our library here at the BSO (stars that they are!) have done this in the past for other projects in our BSO "Resonate" series. Just make sure you mention this when corresponding with us so we can sort it out in advance.

It would be great to see some brass players from the banding world at a day like this - as someone who has been lucky enough to enjoy both orchestral and brass band performing I'd love to see more players cross over what is, in reality, a not very great divide!
  4. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Just thought I'd say a quick thanks to Rob and all the organisers at BSO for a superb day! (and thanks for not making me transpose :clap: )
  5. Robb

Robb New Member

Thanks Steve!

I'm really glad you had a good time. So far the feedback from the day has been really positive, both from the participants and from the BSO players. We were delighted that the first such day in Portsmouth was so well supported and hopefully this will become a regular event in our calendar. In the meantime check out the short video that was made on the day - you make a fleeting appearance Steve!
  6. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Lol yes I did spot myself hiding behind the bassoons :D.

Would be great if you do it again next year!