1. JamesResurgam

JamesResurgam Member

Bryan Smith.

It is with deep regret I have to report the death this morning of Bryan Smith former principal horn of Grimethorpe Band. Our love and thoughts are with Elsie and the family at this sad time.

It has been a privilege to have walked a few steps along life's path with this great horn player and friend; he will be sadly missed.

David James

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bryan Smith
    Grimethorpe Band
    Elsie
    David James
    Bryan Smith Bryan Smith
  3. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

What sad news.An absolute giant of a horn player.
    It was a privilege to play alongside him during occassional mass bands gigs with Dyke and Grimey during the 1980's and to sit alongside him for some of those scratch band charity concerts during the same period.
    Style,finesse, power and a sound to die for.

Legend.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  4. huggie

huggie Member

Bryan was my tutor and my inspiration . He was in my opinion the finest horn soloist ever to grace the stage. He will be sadly missed

5. SuperCat

SuperCat Member

Deepest sympathies to Elsie and the family at this extremely sad time.

Bryan was a great inspiration to me and many others. A very sad loss to all.

William (Billy) Rushworth

6. JamesResurgam

JamesResurgam Member

Funeral arrangements

Bryan Smith former principal horn with Grimethorpe Colliery Band, the finest exponent of the instrument died yesterday 18th June 2009.

One of life’s great characters; who always had a wicked twinkle in his eye, will be sadly missed by his many friends and admirers. Many will have tremendous memories of a beautiful sound, allied to his innate musicianship; it was said he could bring a tear to a glass eye.

Our deepest sympathies are with his wonderful wife Elsie and his daughter Kim, son Keith, and his six grandchildren. He had been ill for a number of years and Elsie was his administering angel, who kept him going.

The funeral will be at St. Luke’s Church Grimethorpe at 11.15am Wednesday 1st July, then Ardsley Crematorium at 12.30pm. No flowers, but donations would be most gratefully received at Ward 27 Barnsley Hospital.

David James

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

With the passing away of Bryan I have lost someone who I have looked up to for many years. Sitting in a Band beside such an amazing player was both a privilege and honour. His quick wit and humour had me in stitches on many occasions, and often had conductors in tears. We often got into trouble for playing each others parts because we were bored. He was simply the best horn player I have ever heard, from ripping out the horn part above the band in MacArthur Park to making you cry with his lyrical playing in Say Goodbye to Love.
    People often saw a hard man who said what he thought, however, I remember a kind, warm hearted man who gave me a home for a number of years when my parents moved away. Elsie and Bryan provided me with the support I needed as a young man and I never forget their kindness.

Bryan you will be sadly missed by all those who were lucky enough to know you.

Mark Walters

8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I have a few records with Bryan Smith playing with Grimethorpe :
    Just a great player and its such a shame to hear of such sad news.

9. adrian90s

adrian90s Member

I to had the honour to play in the same band as Bryan, If you heard him play the slow movement in Tchykosvsky's 5th you knew you were in the presence of greatness.
    Terrific company in the bar (any bar) and a sharp wit, and also a great support if you needed help in the courage department.
    Sadly missed indeed

Adrian Nurney (ex Grimethorpe 1983 - 1993)

10. Frosty

Frosty Member

Extremely sad news indeed.
    Bryan was one of the most understated players of the tenor horn.
    He just picked it up and played, like many of the old Grimey players did.
    I can remember turning up to gigs with the old Barnsley Chronical Band and seeing several of the Grimey lad's there. Pete Roberts, Mark Walters and Bryan Smith were usually the main culprits.
    They came to either support or take the pi** out of our conductor!
    Best thing is they all came and played with what was really a kids band for absolutely no money and usually played solos on the gigs.
    I couldn't believe that sound could come out of a tenor horn. Actually I still don't think it can!
    Great loss of one of bandings unsung legends.

Frosty