Broken tooth advice

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Bungle, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Bungle

Bungle Member

It appears one of my upper second premolars (P4?) which had previously been filled has split down to the gum. I have an appointment for Monday morning (luckily NHS), but have the feeling I may be faced with the dilemma of having it extracted or trying to save it . If I then have a gap after extraction will it have a major affect on my playing, being a back tooth? I play Eb Bass.
  2. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

I'm missing an upper molar (M1) and 2 lower molars (M2 & M3) on the same side and upper M1 on the other side and it hasn't affected my playing (in my opinion!!) :D
    I also play Eb Bass (and Bb Bass, Sousaphone, Trombone, Baritone, Euphonium ...) :biggrin:
    If you can save it, that's fine. If not, it's not the end of your playing career! :D

3. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

If it can be saved fine.... but if it goes am pretty sure you won't miss it. And if you do there's always bridgework or implants later on?
    One of our basses has dentures and he manages........ well I say manages.......;)
  4. dunpullin

dunpullin New Member

Root treatment and then post and core with a porcelain bonded crown will do the trick!
  5. rikster

rikster New Member

Hi Geoff, I reckon you'll be alright especially on the bucket of a mouthpiece you play on. I have a number of missing teeth, and had no problems on either Bb or Eb bass.
  6. From what you've said, I would be suprised if the tooth cannot be saved and obviously that would be best. If you do need to lose the tooth and you can get your dentist to understand you concerns, then he/she can take a model of your teeth now and be able to match a bridge to the shape of the tooth if it does effect your playing and it doesn't matter if not! Hope this is helpful, my other half is a dentist and bandsman so does understand the problems more than most!
  7. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

if its pulled then it wont make any difference i had 2 back teeth, one on either side, pulled and its made no difference to me, even when playing on tiny sop mouthpieces