broken bones??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Nuke, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Just one question. Has neone played trombone with a fractured right wrist?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    trombone
    fractured right wrist
    broken bones
    neone
  3. Di

Di Active Member

:eek: What have you done now?

4. HBB

HBB Active Member

Mumsie to the rescue... :lol:

5. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I've fractured my right index finger, which made playing Euph interesting, but wouldn't have affected my Trom playing too much.
    I'd have thought that if you could get hold of a trom without triggers, you could get away with playing left handed as I assume the wrist would be in cast?

6. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

what a good idea thanks. never thought of that
    Personally i coudnlt see da break but the doctor says its there and needs a cast yes

7. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

have you ever tried to play left handed?

8. Di

Di Active Member

Awww poooooooor Nuke. You need a super Mumsie hug.

[​IMG]

9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I'm not a trombone player but...

When I was 18 I fell over (no Rachel I wasn't drunk... ;) ), and instead of falling "palms down" like most normal people I fell with my right hand "knuckles down". As I was running at the time my momentum caused me to scrape my hand along the concrete that I had chosen to fall onto, neatly breaking my 1st finger below the knuckle, removing the nail completely from my 2nd finger, and smashing my 3rd finger as well as various skin removal / scraping injuries to all three fingers (I still have the scars if you look closely).

Despite this carnage and the resultant 3 sasauge sized bandages I manage to continue playing - although semi-quaver runs were even more tricky that usual - and actually passed my driving test with my fingers bandaged like this.

That story is of no use whatsoever to you Rich - I just thought I'd share it. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Don't play if it hurts is about the best advise I can give.

Best of luck

Ian (ClumsyFlugel)

10. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

No, but I played horn with an undiagnosed broken left wrist for 6 weeks, then in a cast for 2 months...

Jessop-Smythe played a gig with a broken nose once. It can be done. Just take lots of painkillers if it's an important gig, and take it easy otherwise...
    BMB
    xx

11. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Playing left handed isn't as bad as it seems. It is a little bit akward at first, but your mind has this idea of where the slide/fingers are suppose to go, so they just go there.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    trombone
    fractured right wrist
    broken bones
    neone
  13. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I've played with a broken hand... seem to remember it was mainly slow stuff, but I managed it without too much problem. Slide vib might be a bit out of the question though...

14. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I have, but I am a leftie anyway which probably helps a bit.

15. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

im gonna give it a few days and try left handed.