Broadband

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Bariman, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Bariman

Bariman Member

Help please fellow tmpers.

We're thinking about getting broadband at home.

The Consumers Association reported today that there are a plethora of providers out there all with varying degrees of service, speed and cost.

What experiences have you had and would you recommend your provider?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

(We can't get cable)

Thanks.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Consumers Association
    Broadband Help
    varying degrees of service
    speed
    fellow tmpers
  3. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

we use pipex and they have been excellent

4. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Hiya - I'm with Pipex, and have had no problems at all with them. Another one that's been recommended to me is Eclipse Internet.

Loads of information to help you choose is available here. It's a very informative site, where users can rate their own ISPs, and it gives you a rough idea of the costs.

Hope that helps!

5. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Don't get AOL.I'm seven months down the line and still waiting for it to connect consistently. AOL help and a BT visit have not solved the problem.

6. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

We've got aol broadband and haven't had a problem with it at all in the last year

7. Bariman

Bariman Member

I used to use AOL dial up and when I tried to remove it it caused a number of problems. I'd also heard from others there were problems so AOL was already out of the running.

8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I'm with BT Broadband... £17.99 a month... No problems with it at all.

9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

My experiences with

BT - Shiite. Expensive shiite at that! They ripped me off for years before cable came along.

NTL: Superb service at a fraction of the cost of BT. Super fast, super smooth and largely trouble free.

AOL do NOT give it disk room.
    The biggest problems I had with cable was their workmen puttin a drill through a mains cable when they were installing. However they paid their own hospital bills and cleared up the mess afterwards. No, I'm not joking.

10. Sonny Barker

Sonny Barker Member

Get all your kit (modem wireless - if needed and connection)from one source - BT. They own all the pipes and wires, so if something goes wrong (and it won't) you make one phone call and that's that.

NTL? Don't bother - go to http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/ that gives you an idea of the service you get - up down up down up down, etc.

You gets what you pays for.

11. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I have a 1.5MB BB connection from NTL and have in 4 years had a fab service from them.

I wouldn't go near AO(hell) with a barge pole - forum users all over the world experience significant issues with their dynamic IP addressing systems - including AOL users on tMP.

Pipex I hear is very good.

What you need to be aware of are things such as:

Connection Speed - BB usually comes in 128K, 256K, 512K, 1MB, 1.5MB and some even offer a 2MB service. If you remember that a good clean telephone line usually operates somewhere between 28K and 48K you will get an idea as to the increase in speed/performance of the web on your pc.

Monthly Download limit/amount:
    this is a contentious issue with some BB providers. Usually, a provider will limit the total amount of files you will be able to download within your monthly account. So for example... say they placed a limit of 10GB... this means throughout a month you will nly be able to see 10GB's worth of files. Say you purchased a prog file from somewherethat was 2GB, then downloaded that - you could only do that 5 times and your limit will have been reached and- you then won't be able to view any other web pages until the start of the next account cycle. To serve tMP to the web so people can use it takes an average of 60GB per month off my hosting account. i.e. if you add up the filesize and total of all files viewed by people visiting tMP over any month - this would tally around 60GB.

Hope this helps....

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Consumers Association
    Broadband Help
    varying degrees of service
    speed
    fellow tmpers
  13. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Broadband? BROADBAND????? What on earth is that?? Haven't heard of such things up here! :)

14. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Steam driven Internet eh Dave...;)

15. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

Pipex are superb and very reasonably priced too. They don't bug you with emails; they just provide you with good, reliable & consistent service. I thoroughly recommend :-D

16. George BB

George BB Member

I use AOL and it works, so do thousands of other people. What more can one say?

17. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Coal fuelled, more like... :)

18. HBB

HBB Active Member

Don't Use Tiscali!!
    Go BT - Much Better :)

19. AOL - dogs'hit
    NTL - appauling customer services, but excellent when FINALLY installed after weeks of being kept on hold on la telephone :mad:

ermm... actually... what does my opinion matter?! Everyone has summed it all up quite well already :tup

20. MAW

MAW Member

f2s ( freedom to surf)

we have been on f2s since last Christmas and find it very good. My son is also now on f2s and downloads masses of music files and web design stuff and finds it very good. It has a large capacity for that type of thing.

no complaints at all.

21. davidsait

davidsait Member

If you're only going to be a fairly light internet user (i.e. you're at work during the day and there's only a couple of you using the connection), I recommend the pay as you go service from metronet.co.uk
    Both my housemate and I aren't in during the day, so our broadband useage is fairly light (even though it does get a good amount of use during the weekend/evenings).
    With metronet you pay a minimum of about £13 a month, and with that you get so much data transfer free (which is a fair whack). Anything over and above that and you pay about 1p for 4mb. The cost of this is capped at £24 (that is, when you use so much they don't charge you any more, but they don't switch off your access!).
    The upshot of this is that my housemate and I have never paid more than £15 a month for broadband access. Never had any problems with their service.
    As for the equipment, I'm really very happy with my Netgear DG834G.

22. drum_chick_sj

drum_chick_sj Member

exactly the same here. I've never been with anyone else even on normal dial up n any minor hiccups have been sorted straight away with AOL Help. :)