Britten for band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by fartycat, Apr 11, 2013.

1. fartycat

fartycat Member

Aside from the two pieces listed below does anyone know any arrangements of Benjamin Britten for band? We're already playing Fanfare for St Edmundsbury.

SPIDER AND THE FLY (Brass Band) - Britten - Barry, Darrol
    RUSSIAN FUNERAL MUSIC - Parts & Score, LIGHT CONCERT MUSIC - Benjamin Britten - Ray Farr

2. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I can't think of a single one, unfortunately. There is an arrangement for orchestral brass of the Simple Symphony, which in my opinion, is not very effective (muted brass isn't really a substitute for pizzicato strings), and I even have a recording of a truncated version of the Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra, for brass and percussion only, which seems a bit pointless! Maybe your best bet lies in two pastiche works - Simon Dobson's Four Sketches (which uses material from Les Illuminations), and the recent Diversions after Benjamin Britten, a collaborative work by Simon Dobson, Lucy Pankhurst, Gavin Higgins and Paul McGhee. Both are really excellent works. You can hear the latter work here: and Four Sketches is recorded on Leyland's CD The Alchymist's Journal.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  3. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I had a scour around and found The Wallace Collection, A Simple Symphony Britten. TBH No idea what/who the Wallace Collection is but is was on Listen to Band Jul 1 2010
  4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

This was the recording I was referring to (above). TWC was a group convened by John Wallace after Equale Brass folded. The CD is long out of print but I recall someone on this forum located a copy in the USA, on sale for about 40 quid!
  5. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Missed the bit about the simple symphony. Been a long week :oops:
  6. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

My arrangement of The Courtly Dances from Gloriana is available from Studio Music.
  7. fartycat

fartycat Member

Thanks Nigel, I've bought that! James I love both pieces (Four Sketches and Diversions) but I'm thinking about something playable by 3rd section bands.